trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Military

Old 31-Jul-2018, 13:20   #1
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Russian Poseidon nuclear torpedo

Title doesn't quite do it justice. Assuming the reports aren't total bollocks, this is more of an uncrewed nuclear attack minisub, carrying a thermonuclear warhead. Intended as a second-strike weapon, for that good ol' mutually assured destruction. These things, in theory, would approach coastal cities more or less uncontested, obviously bypassing any current anti-missile countermeasure and detonate.

At the speed they're supposed to travel at, there's little that could hit it. About the only thing being a Spearfish torpedo, and even then, it'd have to be one hell of a shot.

It goes without saying that, as with many ideas that the Russian military come up with, it might just never be properly funded, and quietly get kicked into the long grass. If it does enter service, it's a game-changer.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...amed-poseidon/

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/russ...clear-warhead/

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 31-Jul-2018, 13:35   #2
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
On the subject of "best-laid Russian military plans"....

http://uk.businessinsider.com/russia...appened-2018-7

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
Old 31-Jul-2018, 13:37   #3
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Ah so Status-6 is still on the drawing board?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status...purpose_System

It's delivery mechanism is supposed to make it detonate off the coast and cause a 'dirty' tsunami. Rather than sneak up the Potomac.

That reminds me as well. Do they still have their anti carrier group nuclear torpedoes in service? The Shkval V2 (NATO designation 'Squall')?

http://www.militaryperiscope.com/mdb...w0004768.shtml
Old 31-Jul-2018, 13:43   #4
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Supposedly, but still kept quiet, and no-one from the west has ever seen one....

Plato
Old 01-Aug-2018, 13:20   #5
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
What are you on about, you can wander over to Moscow and order the export version.
Old 07-Aug-2018, 13:20   #6
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Not an option, unless you pretend to be from a third-world country that is publically well disposed towards Russia. AFAIK the best info the west ever got was from that US Navy Officer who got a look at the specs many years back, got caught and done for it.

Getting a hold of a full-up V2 would be quite a coup., considering. Have to say though, the rumoured Iranian version sounds funny, especially given its designation; "Hoot"

Plato
Old 07-Aug-2018, 14:06   #7
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
That does not strike me as beyond the competence of the intelligence agencies.
Old 07-Aug-2018, 14:30   #8
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Equally though, you would think that the FSB or FSTEK would have a pretty good go at preventing such operations. As I say, the last guy to try got nabbed and put away.

Plato
Old 07-Aug-2018, 15:17   #9
Orange
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
In Russia, 20 years ago. I love a bit of Tom Clancy bullshit as much as the next guy (spoiler: I don’t), but if they’re selling it to anywhere other than North Korea I’m somewhat sceptical “no one from the West” has ever laid eyes on it.
Old 07-Aug-2018, 16:39   #10
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
a classic example of the emperor's new torpedo
Old 07-Aug-2018, 19:19   #11
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
In Russia, 20 years ago. I love a bit of Tom Clancy bullshit as much as the next guy (spoiler: I don’t), but if they’re selling it to anywhere other than North Korea I’m somewhat sceptical “no one from the West” has ever laid eyes on it.
There are two versions. The export version, and the version that Russian intelligence will want to give you a going over for getting too close to. Dead novel writers have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Plato
Old 07-Aug-2018, 19:20   #12
Orange
Uh huh.
Old 07-Aug-2018, 20:53   #13
[n00b]Zippy
Waterborne Trailer-Trash
[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute
If I had one lashed to my narrowboat, it would be a great runaround to nip up the canal to the shops.
Old 14-Aug-2018, 12:36   #14
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
If you strapped people to them, it might make a great addition to the open water event list at the Olympics.

Plato

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Military