trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Motors & Motorsports

Old 09-May-2018, 22:40   #271
andy
aka milk!
andy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond repute
After having used autopilot quite a lot for the last week I have to say it's pretty good; I've used it a lot more than I did previously when I hired a Tesla and it's also been improved since then. Few minor issues but largely very accurate, good with temporary lanes on motorways and helps stop me speeding
Old 10-May-2018, 05:50   #272
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovYF View Post
Had a call from the local Tesla place yesterday... had my hopes it was about the Model 3...
They’d just called to ask if I’d like a Model S/X test drive to get a feel for things for when the 3 appears.
When did you put your name down?
Old 10-May-2018, 07:06   #273
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
Got a deposit down on the night they announced the 3... but there’s a chance I also added myself to their list when the Tesla “store” opened in Leeds Victoria Quarter about the same time.
Old 10-May-2018, 07:08   #274
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
After having used autopilot quite a lot for the last week I have to say it's pretty good; I've used it a lot more than I did previously when I hired a Tesla and it's also been improved since then. Few minor issues but largely very accurate, good with temporary lanes on motorways and helps stop me speeding
Do you find yourself being more alert at the wheel, ready to take over just in case? Or does it have the opposite effect?
Old 10-May-2018, 09:52   #275
andy
aka milk!
andy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond repute
A little of both initially to be honest - you tend to find yourself relying on it whilst messing with the screen (not browsing obviously but just changing the music for instance) but you are also hyper aware initially because you don't trust the thing and there is the occasional false positive that means you stay aware. I would say I've settled into a system of using it more so in congested or stop-start traffic, or on empty motorways, where it's perfect. On a drive up to Manchester, I probably used autopilot for 80% + of the driving.

The non-autopilot adaptive cruise control I'm less enamoured with as I haven't yet figured if there's a way to just have cruise control without it being adaptive; the reason being in cities - where you want to stick to 20/30 to avoid being flashed by speed cameras - it's pretty rubbish as it occasionally 'sees' parked cars and thinks they're a stationary car sat in traffic in front of you and it therefore slows down. As a result I've rarely use the cruise control in cities, which is a shame.
Old 10-May-2018, 11:03   #276
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I imagine the false positives are deliberate - there's a bunch of research from training airport security officers, false positives are a requirement for the system to maintain effective vigilance.
Old 10-May-2018, 15:06   #277
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovYF View Post
Got a deposit down on the night they announced the 3... but there’s a chance I also added myself to their list when the Tesla “store” opened in Leeds Victoria Quarter about the same time.
Was interested as I wondered if there was some way of giving me a clue of where I was on 'The List'. Put my deposit down ~10.30 that morning, and had that phone call about 3 weeks ago.
Old 10-May-2018, 15:11   #278
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
Tournaments Won: 1
devs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
A little of both initially to be honest - you tend to find yourself relying on it whilst messing with the screen (not browsing obviously but just changing the music for instance) but you are also hyper aware initially because you don't trust the thing and there is the occasional false positive that means you stay aware. I would say I've settled into a system of using it more so in congested or stop-start traffic, or on empty motorways, where it's perfect. On a drive up to Manchester, I probably used autopilot for 80% + of the driving.

The non-autopilot adaptive cruise control I'm less enamoured with as I haven't yet figured if there's a way to just have cruise control without it being adaptive; the reason being in cities - where you want to stick to 20/30 to avoid being flashed by speed cameras - it's pretty rubbish as it occasionally 'sees' parked cars and thinks they're a stationary car sat in traffic in front of you and it therefore slows down. As a result I've rarely use the cruise control in cities, which is a shame.
i loved it in cities too. You would tell it to never go about 30, and when the car in front stopped, you would too.
Old 10-May-2018, 16:15   #279
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Have you actually got YOUR Tesla now Andy?
Old 10-May-2018, 19:24   #280
andy
aka milk!
Tomorrow Still using a loaner Model X
Old 10-May-2018, 19:47   #281
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
What you getting?
Old 10-May-2018, 20:12   #282
[n00b]Zippy
Waterborne Trailer-Trash
[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10-May-2018, 20:25   #283
andy
aka milk!
I want.

@Kahuna - Model S.
Old 10-May-2018, 20:44   #284
andy
aka milk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by devs View Post
i loved it in cities too. You would tell it to never go about 30, and when the car in front stopped, you would too.
Yeah I get that it's more the issue of cars being parked in your lane which it reads as part of the traffic and therefore slows, whereas human drivers would maintain the speed and go around the parked vehicle. Basically I just want an option for 'dumb' (ie non-adaptive) cruise control that I can use on streets with parked cars, which I don't think the Tesla has (annoyingly).
Old 10-May-2018, 22:04   #285
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
Quote:
@Kahuna - Model S.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/ntsb-inves...social_fb_abcn
Old 10-May-2018, 23:21   #286
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
AP wasn't enabled apparently so this is basically idiot boy hits wall.
Old 10-May-2018, 23:54   #287
andy
aka milk!
Indeed. Notwithstanding, thanks Kahuna...
Old 11-May-2018, 00:02   #288
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Of course, AP being enabled or not doesn't seem to affect the hitting wall part.
Old 11-May-2018, 06:17   #289
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
Funny how thousands of cars equipped with internal combustion engines hit things at 60mph every year without toasting the occupants.
Old 11-May-2018, 07:07   #290
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Kudos for presenting one of the most fallacious statements that I've ever read.
Old 11-May-2018, 07:12   #291
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
YW
Old 11-May-2018, 11:28   #292
Wilco
will post for food
Wilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yeah I get that it's more the issue of cars being parked in your lane which it reads as part of the traffic and therefore slows, whereas human drivers would maintain the speed and go around the parked vehicle. Basically I just want an option for 'dumb' (ie non-adaptive) cruise control that I can use on streets with parked cars, which I don't think the Tesla has (annoyingly).
I've never tried cruise control on urban streets. It definitely is conservative as to whether cars are in your lane or not. Sometimes it slows and draws a car as just in your lane when in reality its nicely in its own lane, which is annoying.
Originally Posted by Big Brother Idiot #164
I'm not saying I'm shallow or anything, but I wouldn't bother talking to an ugly person
Old 22-May-2018, 13:42   #293
Orange
ditto
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
HMmmmm.

https://jalopnik.com/consumer-report...sla-1826198783
Old 22-May-2018, 14:52   #294
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
Related, Musk appears to accept the bad braking figures.
Old 22-May-2018, 15:13   #295
Orange
ditto
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
It’s a mix of bad and good. I don’t know how something this fundamental slips through even basic testing, but it is pretty incredible IF they can fix this through firmware remotely.
Old 22-May-2018, 15:16   #296
Inertiaman
Much as Musk is basically my patronus, the cynic in me can't stop comparing this thing to Delorean. Maybe it's the gullwing doors.
Old 12-Jun-2018, 22:35   #297
Orange
ditto
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1J82EI

That ought to get those Model 3s out there.
Old 13-Jun-2018, 09:21   #298
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiaman View Post
Much as Musk is basically my patronus, the cynic in me can't stop comparing this thing to Delorean. Maybe it's the gullwing doors.
That reminds me, electric Deloreans are a thing. Ironically they usually use a Tesla drive train and battery for the conversion.
Old 14-Jun-2018, 11:24   #299
Wilco
will post for food
Wilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1J82EI

That ought to get those Model 3s out there.
If this is on top of the contractor cull, it does seem like they must be cutting to the bone to hit profitability.
Originally Posted by Big Brother Idiot #164
I'm not saying I'm shallow or anything, but I wouldn't bother talking to an ugly person
Old 17-Jun-2018, 18:16   #300
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
New feature added to Model S cars, spontaneous combustion!

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Motors & Motorsports

Tags
devtard