trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Science Fiction

Old 12-Apr-2014, 10:51   #1
Hot Soup
lock my threads
Tournaments Won: 1
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
The Expanse

Not toally happy it's syfy , but it's a properly excellent scifi series of books , this could be excellent

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/11/syfy-the-expanse/

http://www.danielabraham.com/books-2...viathan-wakes/

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Hot Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Apr-2014, 12:50   #2
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
Love these books fantastic read looking forward to this

Lovely and gritty series in which no one is safe, will b interesting to see how they handle the realistic space travel ( it takes weeks to get anywhere and set exclusivly in the sol system)

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.

Last edited by Ashen; 12-Apr-2014 at 12:53.
Old 12-Apr-2014, 14:09   #3
Hamspoons
I love lamp
Hamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond repute
I actually started these in an attempt to try some sci-fi books, which I don't usually read. It was the trickery influence!

They're good fun. Grabs alot of cliches and influences from elsewhere, but will be interesting to see how they're brought to the screen. Wonder what the budget will be...
Old 13-Apr-2014, 01:24   #4
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Worth keeping an eye on this one methinks.

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 13-Apr-2014, 11:53   #5
Rainy
Monkeh Feel0r
Rainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond repute
The realistic space travel that takes weeks to get anywhere? lol
 TBM Rainy 
Old 13-Apr-2014, 12:44   #6
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
If i remember rightly the propulsion tech was researched to be a realistic portrayal
of a proposed level 1 civilization (extended Kardashev scale). The ship the main characters use is a highly advanced cutting edge military vessel the civilian ships are much much slower taking years to reach destinations.

No hyper drives, no warping and well portrayed outside 'threat'. Great book well recommended.

I would also love to see this made into a series

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 13-Apr-2014, 18:14   #7
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
RAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome series of books! If done well they would make an excellent TV series. About time syfy remembered what their fucking name is, I was starting to wonder if they'd forgotten. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
so some tribesmen can build a silky smooth road through southern america in a land devoid of natural life yet my local council can barely manage a pot-holed to fuck track through the town, cretins
Old 13-Apr-2014, 23:33   #8
Skawt
topicophiliac
Skawt has a reputation beyond reputeSkawt has a reputation beyond reputeSkawt has a reputation beyond reputeSkawt has a reputation beyond reputeSkawt has a reputation beyond reputeSkawt has a reputation beyond reputeSkawt has a reputation beyond reputeSkawt has a reputation beyond reputeSkawt has a reputation beyond reputeSkawt has a reputation beyond reputeSkawt has a reputation beyond repute
Not read these but first one making its way to my kindle now.
Send a message via MSN to Skawt  Scuzzeh 
Old 21-Jul-2014, 09:24   #9
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Thomas Jane to play Miller, would have preferred him to play Holden.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/20...tv-series.html

http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/20...tv-series.html

Quote:
to Ashen [ash-en]

Last edited by Ashen; 21-Jul-2014 at 09:27.
Old 15-Jan-2015, 23:59   #10
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM11UGPRl0s

Looks good

Quote:
to Ashen [ash-en]

Old 16-Jan-2015, 00:19   #11
Bonesaw
forum hax
Bonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond repute
The books have been a good read but
  Spoiler: highlight to read
did I miss a part where Miller realises that everyone on the security force think of him as a joke even before he took on the search for Julie? It dropped so fast I thought I had skipped pages at first.

Old 16-Jan-2015, 09:17   #12
Hot Soup
lock my threads
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler: highlight to read
I'd need to go back and reread to be 100% but there's definitely a bit about it , I'm sure involving his partner telling him that he got the missing girl case to keep him out the way.

I hate to say I am completely underwhelmed by that trailer. I'll watch and hope but to me it looks underfunded, too clean , not enough actual space. None of the actors look like the characters I have in my head! I'm hoping to be completely wrong

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 16-Jan-2015, 10:51   #13
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
To be fair you don't really see much space in the books beyond the description of engagements from the character pov in the ships. There were a few slices of external though, looked quite a bit like one of Rocinante's PDCs deploying for a moment there

Very excited, both because TV is definitely the medium for this and because they really seem to have gone for a high quality job, individual expectations aside (including my own!).
Old 17-Jan-2015, 00:59   #14
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
I'll give this a watch. I also had some hopes for SyFy's "Ascension", seeing a it seemed to be a tad like "Bioshock in space". However, early reports suggest it's just a murder mystery..in space.

Hard to judge a show on its pilot though, needless to say.

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
Old 23-Oct-2016, 10:05   #15
Randell
my post count gets me dates
Randell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond repute
Netflix 3rd November Glad I couldn't be bothered to hunt down poor russian rips to watch on my tablet, and they'll launch the second season. That's really good news.

Syfy for some reason just wouldn't/couldn't show it on Syfy UK.

Last edited by Randell; 23-Oct-2016 at 10:08.
 Randell 
Old 23-Oct-2016, 13:31   #16
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Poor Russian rips? Learn2p2p?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 23-Oct-2016, 18:39   #17
Scorpius
Spilling Campion 2008
Scorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond repute
blu ray was only £15 from the US
Send a message via MSN to Scorpius  g1ausbaltar 
Old 04-Jan-2017, 22:56   #18
Hot Soup
lock my threads
Just watched the first 5 episodes on the bounce - I like it.

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 05-Jan-2017, 10:23   #19
leady
click here to reset post count
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
yeah its pretty good - not sure on the casting of Naomi (not very cute) or Amos (not imposing at all), but Avarsarala (sp_) is perfectly cast. With it being on Sci-fi loses the sailor vocab, which is a shame.
Old 09-Jan-2017, 22:24   #20
Hot Soup
lock my threads
I liked the casting , I think by the end they were well into the roles. Thoroughly enjoyed the last 5 episodes as well. Looking forward to S2 I have to say and i think a reread of the books.

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 10-Jan-2017, 08:05   #21
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
Reading the latest Expanse book now and the SyFy characters are what I'm picturing, have to say they all seem right to me now, wasn't convinced at the beginning but they do all seem a good fit.
Old 10-Jan-2017, 11:07   #22
leady
click here to reset post count
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
They do deserve credit though for digging out some of the lankiest extras ever
Old 19-Jun-2017, 01:24   #23
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Got the first season BR box set. Really good stuff, best scifi TV since Galactica.

Plato
Old 19-Jun-2017, 07:09   #24
burundi
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
It is good but I feel it's being dragged out compared to the pace of the first books.
Old 24-Jul-2017, 16:47   #25
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Series 3 trailer;

Plato
Old 17-May-2018, 14:00   #26
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Exclamation

SyFy blowing it out the nearest airlock. Maybe free up airtime for more wrestling, or summat.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8346301.html

Plato
Old 17-May-2018, 14:34   #27
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
Fingers crossed someone else buys it... It's great.
Old 22-May-2018, 12:48   #28
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunteh View Post
Fingers crossed someone else buys it... It's great.
Amazon to the rescue, maybe...
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/21/...e-the-expanse/
Old 22-May-2018, 12:55   #29
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Be nice to have two things to watch on Amazon.
Old 22-May-2018, 13:53   #30
burundi
I'm not that surprised, it's beautiful to look at, well acted and the screenplay is doing the book justice, but the pace is glacial, there's no chance of them overtaking the books like GoT has done at this pace, 3 series in and are we still in the first book or in the second now?

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Science Fiction

Users Viewing Thread: 3 (2 members and 1 guests)
Nomad, RAPTOR192