trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Old 10-Jun-2009, 10:42   #1
The Big Kahuna
**** off Lester
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Strange network issue

Customer has an SBS 2003 server with XP clients.

Users have various mapped drives through login scripts.

One PC is experiencing issues with permissions on the mapped drives. Sometimes after a reboot they can access the drive mapping and then, after a period of time from an hour to a day, they are denied access.

This isn't an issue with the particular user or NTFS permissions on the folder as the same problem occurs when logged into the same PC as domain admin.

So far I have tried rebooting the server and taking the PC out of the domain and rejoining it.

The only thing I can think of to try is to take the PC out of the domain again, re-SID it, and rejoin to the domain. There's a possibility that when the machine was imaged, Ghostwalker wasn't run.

I've never come across an intermittent issue with share permissions before so ANY help from those more knowledgeable would be gratefully received.

Oh yeah, I've opened it in Notepad, in case you were going to suggest that
Old 10-Jun-2009, 10:49   #2
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
I've had this occur on some PCs with drive mappings to a share at a different site. I've always put it down to a network "glitch" and authentication.
My theory is when the PC verifies the connection to the share and there's a glitch it classes it as an invalid logon attempt. 3 of these and the account gets locked out.

Do your user accounts get locked out?
Old 10-Jun-2009, 10:51   #3
The Big Kahuna
**** off Lester
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
No, they can still access other shares with no restrictions on them. It's just the shares where they have specific permissions I think.
Old 10-Jun-2009, 11:24   #4
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
presumably nothing in the logs on the pc or server that sheds any light on it?
Old 10-Jun-2009, 11:44   #5
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
server not relinquishing the existing shares issued so it thinks it's maxed out concurrent accesses?
Old 10-Jun-2009, 11:52   #6
[n00b]Furious
poster of the month
[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
server not relinquishing the existing shares issued so it thinks it's maxed out concurrent accesses?
I was just thinking that, how many concurrent connections does the server allow ? How many users are there in total ?
Remember this, Remember everything is just black or burning sun
Send a message via ICQ to [n00b]Furious Send a message via MSN to [n00b]Furious
Old 10-Jun-2009, 12:15   #7
The Big Kahuna
**** off Lester
Some ideas there chaps. I'm going to edit the login script to make the drive mappings non-persistent.
Old 10-Jun-2009, 13:01   #8
Ned
each time i post god kills a kitten
Tournaments Won: 1
Ned has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond repute
Had similar issues with a number of users before. We ended up changing the login script to delete and then recreate shares each login and it seemed to get around it.
Old 10-Jun-2009, 13:14   #9
The Big Kahuna
**** off Lester
The thing that's baffling me is that it doesn't seem to be linked to the user. If I log in to the same PC as domain admin who doesn't have any mapped drives via a login script and then map one of the drives that the user is having problems with, the admin also gets an access denied message.

It seems to be the PC that's at fault.
Old 10-Jun-2009, 13:46   #10
Ned
each time i post god kills a kitten
Tournaments Won: 1
Ned has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond repute
(missed that bit above)

I'd try the remove from domain and re add it.
Old 10-Jun-2009, 15:28   #11
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond repute
I take it they cannot browse the share on the network, rather than going through the mapped drive? Does it work when you create a share group, add the user and assign it to the share then remap the drive?
 stant0s 
Old 10-Jun-2009, 17:21   #12
[n00b]Furious
poster of the month
[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future
From a troubleshooting POV, have you tried any of the following:

* Mapping a drive to another server / pc on the domain, and seeing if that has the same problem ?

* Checked eventvwr on the local pc to see if it registers any errors ?

* It isnt clear whether it is one particular share that the PC is having an issue with, or all of the shares ?

* Have you tried disconnecting the drive, then remapping it ?

* How are the shares setup ? Is it Everyone - Full on the share, then access locked down by NTFS, or vice-versa ?

Sorry if this sounds like sucking eggs, being on the Helpdesk at work I tend to get issues like this from our 1st level guys, just trying to cover all bases.

Fuzza
Remember this, Remember everything is just black or burning sun
Send a message via ICQ to [n00b]Furious Send a message via MSN to [n00b]Furious

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Tags
sounds like a dns problem