trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 28-Apr-2004, 19:37   #1
Invictus
troll
Invictus is on a distinguished road
Ram, Duel Channel Kit or not?

guys n gals now i need your help.

looking in the market for some ram i have set my sights firmly on this stuff follow the link

http://www.geil.com.tw/portal/product_400_t_w.php

upon reading some reviews i was lead to belive that a duel channle kit i.e. this:

http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=14

would be better now to my trained but in experienced eyes this just seems to be 2 sticks of the previous 512 stick please correct me if i am wrong on this, but if i was to get the 512 lone stick and then another 512 later down the line would i loose any dissernable features from not buying the duel channel pack?

i guess what i am saying is should i buy 2 lots of the 512 or any there any advantages to waiting and buying the 1gb duel channel pack?

pleae your feedback will be much appriciated.

p.s. dont try to get me onto other ram i am set on this geil jus want to know which type i should go for!
Send a message via ICQ to Invictus Send a message via MSN to Invictus
Old 28-Apr-2004, 19:49   #2
Synbios
wuptidoo
Synbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to behold
Dual channel RAM?

I'm reading this two ways... if you mean GDDRII then no idea. If you mean RAM on a motherboard set to dual channel, then dual channel is a setting on the motherboard, not your RAM.
Old 28-Apr-2004, 19:53   #3
Invictus
troll
i really dont know what i mean lol, i was just reading and you can buy this ram in 2 different types either the duel channel kit or the single 512 sticks, look at the links it might help you to understand what i am asking.

basically which is better to do save up and get the 1gig kit or get 2x512, as i can only afford to do 1x512 now and another l8r.

if i was to do this would i loose out on any benifits from buying the 1gig kit other than the obvious massive one off payment and the speed increase its hard to word what i wannt know.

so put very basically

woudl i loose anythign if i bought 2x512 at seperate times over buying the duel channel kit in one go?
Old 28-Apr-2004, 19:55   #4
moron
founder of the +1 forum
moron has a reputation beyond reputemoron has a reputation beyond reputemoron has a reputation beyond reputemoron has a reputation beyond reputemoron has a reputation beyond reputemoron has a reputation beyond reputemoron has a reputation beyond reputemoron has a reputation beyond reputemoron has a reputation beyond reputemoron has a reputation beyond reputemoron has a reputation beyond repute
you dont gain anything apart from it simplifying it as you dont need to match the type of memory 6 months later - theres nothing special about the sticks in the kit
Old 28-Apr-2004, 20:02   #5
Invictus
troll
ah righty oh, so there is absolutly no gains over buying the 1gig kit other than the obvious, thats all i need to clarify thankyou,

but please any other people out there with views and opinions please elt me know as i get paid tomorrow and i would like to make a very well informed decision before then
Old 28-Apr-2004, 20:05   #6
Synbios
wuptidoo
Synbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to behold
Are you looking to use dual channel for an AMD XP system? if so, you'll be sorely disappointed at the performance increase.
Old 28-Apr-2004, 20:12   #7
Invictus
troll
no i am jus looking to update my ram planning to eventually end up with 1 gig of the geil pc3200 400mhz i jus watned to know if buying the kit had any advantages over buying it in 2 seperate chunks
Old 28-Apr-2004, 22:57   #8
Flossie
topicophiliac
Flossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to behold
if you buy the ram seperatly, unless you are very carefully you'll be lucky if it will run in "dual channel" mode successfully.

ram comes in loads of different configuaritions and subtle nucances.

to "dual channel" ram you need two absolutely the same sticks, if you buy two unbranded sticks 6 months apart they are very unlikely to even have the same physical configuartion let alone whether or not the details of their timeings are the same...

Or, basically, you want dual channel ram, best to buy at one go, cos what's the chances of pulling the same number out of a deck of cards twice in a row...

However that doesn't mean that "Ub3r l33t $10,000 RAM" is actually any better than "reasonable quality stuff from twinmos" or whatever.

Matched memory is matched memory - it will be matched. You might get lucky buying at random...
Old 28-Apr-2004, 23:11   #9
Pulse
lock my threads
Pulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond repute
I remember looking at the stuff from geil and noticed that it had a whole bunch of high timings on them :S....dunno much about timings but i think high is bad
Old 28-Apr-2004, 23:14   #10
Invictus
troll
i have read a load of reviews that pitted them against the likes of samsung and corsairs and they caome out top on most things apart from against the corsairs they ranked even

so what your saying is?

if i get 2 different ram sticks they may not work? or they will work jus not aswell as if i get 2 sticks at the same time :/ its all confusing cos iaint bought ram in a long time, so i really dont know what to do, arg HELP ME!
Old 28-Apr-2004, 23:28   #11
Pulse
lock my threads
Pulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond repute
Dual channel ram has to be IDENTICAL.

non registered or registered...same size....same make.... same everything. Basically if you buy two sticks of Corsair 256 or wahtever then they should be ok to run dual channel....the fact that its a dual channel "kit" is basically garunteeing the fact that the ram WILL work dual channel (or wont work in the case of twinmos ;p).

Of course you could still mix your rams but they wont work in dual channel mode... also theres something you cant mix.... i think its the registered stuff with non registered stuff. All ram will run as fast as the slowest chip.

Was reading something on toms hardware about PC4000 ram (DDR500) Seems the different between CAS Latency 2 and 3 is about 1fps in gaming....dunno what this equates to in other apps but it would seem now that ram is at high mhz CL is basically turning into an epenis thing.

Checked some reviews.... i see OCZ stuff coming top then Corsair stuff and i think kingston HyperX is good.... problem with these brands is you are going to have to shell out alot of cash for it....then you get a new CPU maybe and it has a different FSB so you are going to bottle neck etc there so you also gotta be thinking "do i wanna buy expensive ram just to have to upgrade it again when the bottlenecks are there or do i just wanna deal with the bottlenecks"

To be really honest..... i dont think the bottlenecks will be that hugely noticable but dont quote me on that. Just try get some ram at the same speed as your CPU's fsb (Assuming you have an athlon).

Dual DDR is good but really only on pentiums and on AMD64's i believe.

Ok i think im near the end of my waffle....

The second ram you posted (the kit) says its been "optimised" for dual channel operation So i guess take from that what you will....you could look more into benchmarks of the kit verus those two other sticks i guess.
Old 28-Apr-2004, 23:38   #12
Invictus
troll
so what are the benifits duel channel ram? cos i know that all ram will work together but will it work better if they will duel channle or will they not work together at all now addays?
Old 28-Apr-2004, 23:53   #13
Pulse
lock my threads
Well...some test show it works worse...some better. Its really quite odd. I think its all down to what CPU you own...
Old 29-Apr-2004, 01:00   #14
Invictus
troll
ok ok, so let me clarify all this

duel channel can be better or worse dependsing on prcessor GAH this is all swings and roundabouts.

but the genral consenus with regaurd to what i should do is buy the duel channel pack to be on the safe side? i mean if i buy the 2x512 it will be a case of it being 1 month apart not 6 but still will it make a BIG difference in the performance if i buy seperatly lets jus cut this short a yes or no answer with a brief explaination if necessary
Old 29-Apr-2004, 09:46   #15
venger
will post for food
venger has a reputation beyond reputevenger has a reputation beyond reputevenger has a reputation beyond reputevenger has a reputation beyond reputevenger has a reputation beyond reputevenger has a reputation beyond reputevenger has a reputation beyond reputevenger has a reputation beyond reputevenger has a reputation beyond reputevenger has a reputation beyond reputevenger has a reputation beyond repute
I would take a look at http://www.tomshardware.com and/or http://www.anandtech.com.

Take a look for artices on Dual DDR as Im sure I remember reading articles on pros/cons of running this config with benchmarks.

PS. Sorry I couldnt post links to specific articles but rushing off for a meeting
Send a message via MSN to venger  venger7779 
Old 29-Apr-2004, 09:59   #16
Flossie
topicophiliac
Flossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to behold
In short it will make a *small* improvement on an Athlon system - of the order of 2-5%.

If you want dual channel memory buy together or it may not be a perfect match.

Buy a good quality make with the best timeings you can afford, but don't double your budget for a tiny improvement, the gains won't be worth it!

There's more rumour, myth, confusion and disinformation about RAM than almost anything else - as you're discovering!

p.s. Pulse no need to snear at Twinmos, the dual-channel kit I have worked perfectly in my Nforce2 Ultra...
Old 29-Apr-2004, 15:29   #17
Pulse
lock my threads
I jest . I run twinmos also but not in dual channel.
Old 01-May-2004, 21:20   #18
Invictus
troll
thanks alot for all your input guys big big thanks to you all it has been hugly helpful i have decided to save up and get the duel kit, i think in the long run it will be better

once again thanks

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware