trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Old 16-Nov-2010, 20:12   #1
The Big Kahuna
**** off Lester
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Orange Broadband - some advice please

No, I haven't lost my marbles. A friend of my mother has been paying some gimp to come all the way from manchester to "sort" her BB and home "network" because he's an "expert" who was employed by the government. After a little bit of checking it turns out his job was going round installing Dragon dictate on computers.

So, I've offered to help out.

I've had a convo on the phone and from the vague description she gave it sounds to me like she has a Speedtouch 330 USB pile of wank. As she wants to access t'internet on her laptop downstairs I want to replace this with a "proper" router. Unfortunately, she says her & the "expert" spent ages on the phone to Orange who wouldn't give out any authentication information. According to her, when she signed up with Orange they sent her the router and a disk which she "put in her computer".

Has ANYONE here got the slightest fucking idea of the way Orange works with regard to swapping out the USP pile of wank, replacing it with a standard router and getting access to the authentication info ? Can they actually refuse to give out that information ?
Old 16-Nov-2010, 20:32   #2
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
All you have to do if you replace the router is put in the standard Orange Broadband settings and you're away. There's no "authentication info".

Oh wait, it seems there is an individual usr/pass. It'll be in the letter they sent her when she signed up. If not then ring them up and either ask them to send out another letter or change it over the phone.

Last edited by Brocken; 16-Nov-2010 at 20:36.
Old 16-Nov-2010, 21:15   #3
The Big Kahuna
**** off Lester
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken View Post
All you have to do if you replace the router is put in the standard Orange Broadband settings and you're away. There's no "authentication info".

Oh wait, it seems there is an individual usr/pass. It'll be in the letter they sent her when she signed up. If not then ring them up and either ask them to send out another letter or change it over the phone.
She is saying that she wasn't giving any info by Orange and they wouldn't give them the info by phone. If she's got a 330, the software from Orange will just have created a dial up connection and prompted her to enter her details I'm guessing. Unfortunately I'm doing this remotely and I haven't got an RDP connection to her brain, eyes and hands (well, hand, her other arm was blown off by a parcel bomb which her ex husband had sent to her...but that's another story).

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking