trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Old 08-Dec-2015, 11:52   #1
The Scientist
skulker
The Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond repute
WiFi

Hi Guys,

What sort of WiFi speeds do you lot get from your routers?

My fibre connection wired to the pc gets me 76down and 19.5 up on a speedtest.

On the wifi side of things I get 50 down and 19.5 up on my one plus one phone (fairly new tech). From my 4 year old tablet I get 30down and 19.5 up. From my 6-7 year old 15inch samsung laptop I get 25down and 19.5 up.

All the wifi connections are hooking up to a tp link router.

I spoke to my Father last night who has just got plusnet fibre installed and has one of these new all in one boxes (no need for router and seperate openreach box) and he sent me a speedtest he had done from his ipad (air?) and iphone6.. He gets 76down and 19.5!!!

Is it the wifi gear in the apple products he's using or are these new all in one boxes really that good?

www.flosseh.co.uk
 2370 0244 7274 7748 
Old 08-Dec-2015, 11:59   #2
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
His products use a newer wireless standard (N) that your older things don't have (they have B/G). It's considerably faster. No change of router will improve your older devices. You could probably squeeze a few more megagiggidies out of your phone with a new router but I'm not sure why you'd bother until you replace the other items.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
Old 08-Dec-2015, 17:09   #3
The Scientist
skulker
The Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond repute
Cheers Matt Looking to upgrade the laptop in the new year, so I might have a ganders at getting one of these all in one jobs then. I did a little research on them and they have gig ethernet ports on them too, so I might update my network plugs as well to take advantage of this

www.flosseh.co.uk
 2370 0244 7274 7748 
Old 08-Dec-2015, 17:21   #4
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
The all in one nature doesn't really have any bearing. It's just down to a decent couple of Antennae and the relevant standard. Sounds like your current router supports N band so you might want to see how well you do on the new kit before coughing up for replacements.
Old 08-Dec-2015, 17:46   #5
The Scientist
skulker
Roger!

www.flosseh.co.uk
 2370 0244 7274 7748 
Old 08-Dec-2015, 18:19   #6
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
CaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond repute
I get this from a VM superhub 2 with two walls between the laptop and router:-
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4897960373.png

The link speed is shown in the attachment.

I'm pretty sure Samsung laptops don't have hardware whitelists, so if you're handy with a screwdriver you could upgrade the wifi card cheaply and easily. If you want 2x2 11n, Intel 6235 cards are less than a tenner. Alternatively, 2x2 11ac Intel 7260 cards sell for between 10 and 20.

I'm using an intel 6235 in my laptop at the moment. It originally came with a shitty 1x1 2.4GHz-only card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	67
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	565  
Old 27-Dec-2015, 17:39   #7
The Scientist
skulker
Cheers CT, I might have a go at that.

I visited my folks yesterday and tried his WiFi on my oneplusone, I gained an extra 22meg!

www.flosseh.co.uk
 2370 0244 7274 7748 
Old 27-Dec-2015, 17:45   #8
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
Tournaments Won: 1
devs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond repute
if i use 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz, it is much much slower.
Old 27-Dec-2015, 17:51   #9
Inertiaman
Not as such. They're the same standard and 2.4 has better range. 5ghz just generally less interfered with by other transmitters. And it's especially not quicker if your devices don't support 5ghz.
Old 27-Dec-2015, 23:36   #10
The Scientist
skulker
I've managed to get the back off the netbook (samsung nc10) and I've found this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6muawp6xv...15418.jpg?dl=0

So I'm guessing I'm limited with the research I've done to what I can get due to it's old school size

I found this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Wirele...I+Express+Card

worth doing? I notice it has three connectors, mine only has 2... hmmm
Cheers for any advice

www.flosseh.co.uk
 2370 0244 7274 7748 
Old 27-Dec-2015, 23:46   #11
blurr
fashion victim
blurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond repute
Why not just buy a USB Wireless N adapter for around 9

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-W...wireless+n+usb

Sure it's going to occupy a USB slot, but you have 3 to play with right? So losing one isn't so bad... Got to be easier than opening up the laptop and faffing around inside.
Old 27-Dec-2015, 23:51   #12
The Scientist
skulker
Sounds like a plan. The Mrs is happy I've got the back on it again too merry chrimbo Rich, I must get around to that second batch of onion marmalade for you

www.flosseh.co.uk

Last edited by The Scientist; 27-Dec-2015 at 23:55.
 2370 0244 7274 7748 
Old 28-Dec-2015, 00:36   #13
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
devs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiaman View Post
Not as such. They're the same standard and 2.4 has better range. 5ghz just generally less interfered with by other transmitters. And it's especially not quicker if your devices don't support 5ghz.
maybe im just talking bollocks.
Old 28-Dec-2015, 08:32   #14
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
CaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond repute
Not limited at all. That's a full-length mini PCI-e card. You can get full-length versions of either card I mentioned, or get an adapter that lets you use half-length cards.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Half-Size-...l4s4uAfDFXwDjA

Combine it with this and you're good to go:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Intel-...3D261822595110

Edit: The card you linked should work with just antennas 1 and 2 connected, and the one linked here requires Windows 7+. A 6235 should work with XP or later.

Last edited by CaptainTrips; 28-Dec-2015 at 08:50.
Old 28-Dec-2015, 12:31   #15
Inertiaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by devs View Post
maybe im just talking bollocks.
Yes and just for a change, no! 2.4 is plenty fast in and of itself but it's now a hellabusy slice of the spectrum what with doorbells, baby monitors, posh light switches all sitting in it and because some idiot left an overlap between most of the channels within the permitted 2.4 radio range. This noise causes a higher error rate between your own devices and your router. Especially in dense areas. Turning off 2.4 and solely using 5 is only valid if all your devices support 5. Otherwise on dual band routers you can get similar improvement by turning off 5.

Also, 2.4 is situationally better if you're in a quiet radio area but have lots of walls to deal with as radio waves (or any waves) attenuate (lose intensity) faster at higher frequencies.

Wi-Fi analyser on Android is an awesome tool for getting a feel for the radio landscape. Don't think there's anything equiv because iPhone don't allow access to the packet stream.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
http://www.metageek.com/training/res...ls-1-6-11.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attenuation
Old 28-Dec-2015, 17:20   #16
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
I was talking bollocks because I remembered my devices incorrectly. I think PS4 uses only 2.4GHz and then I saw my phone at the same distance on 5GHz and it was like double the speed. I think its because PS4 has wank tech inside. So thats why i thought i was talking bollocks. I did a test on my phone at both frequencies, and they were quite similar.

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking