trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Old 15-Apr-2017, 19:36   #1
The Scientist
skulker
The Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond repute
Video playback errors from NAS.. possibly

Yo!

I've got a strange PC video playback problem which I've googled with no joy and put up with for a while but decided I'd bite the bullet and ask you wisely people about.

I store all my films etc on a Q-NAP 2 x 3tb raid 1 setup via gigabit powerline adaptors.
I pick up all the files / films on my TV (twonky built in thingy on the NAS which the tv works with) / Phone (Via es explorer) / PC (via a networked drive and VLC player).

The pc side of things has a strange problem when playing the vids (they stop) on the fly via vlc sometimes after 5 / 30 / 60 / (insert random number here) mins on some videos.

This is the error : File reading failed: VLC could not read the file (Bad file descriptor).

Most of the time restart the vid from the pc after a min or so and its fine at the point it gave the error before!!! then errors again sometimes at a different point!!!?

If I copy the file from the NAS to my pc hdd and play it from there it works ok...

Any clues?

TA x

www.flosseh.co.uk

Last edited by The Scientist; 15-Apr-2017 at 19:40.
 2370 0244 7274 7748 
Old 15-Apr-2017, 21:24   #2
ReichSteadyCrew
post count reset at 9999
ReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond repute
Is it possible for you to remove the powerline adapters from the equation for testing purposes? I'd be tempted to remove all steps between device and the files and then add them in one at a time to rule them out
Old 15-Apr-2017, 21:41   #3
The Scientist
skulker
The Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Scientist has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm, connect the nas directly to the pc? I guess I could do that (its in the same room and I have a 10 metre lan cable). I suspect it is the powerlines that are messing things, but why can the tv/phone play everything fine....

Will try that tomorrow, ta dude.

I might try playing one on my gf's laptop which is wireless and see what happens.

www.flosseh.co.uk

Last edited by The Scientist; 15-Apr-2017 at 21:46.
 2370 0244 7274 7748 
Old 17-Apr-2017, 18:21   #4
The Scientist
skulker
Ok I've not solved it but seemed to have narrowed it down a little.

It's a combo of VLC and me streaming via the nas and powerlines...

Tested:
Laptop via wifi and VLC : works

TV via router then powerline adaptors to NAS (twonky streaming) : works

PC with Vid on hdd via VLC : works

PC with vid on Nas via powerline adaptors with windows (film and tv player) : Works (some vids have no sound - but I guess that's just a codec problem)

PC with vid on NAS via powerline adaptors with VLC : most of the time the vid stops randomly with the error in post 1

Any clues?

:/

Edit: When the error happens it stops me accessing the NAS on the PC via file explorer (like it hangs for a min then it's back to being ok).

www.flosseh.co.uk

Last edited by The Scientist; 17-Apr-2017 at 19:04.
 2370 0244 7274 7748 
Old 17-Apr-2017, 20:18   #5
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
VLC buffering issues? Is it trying to read too far ahead compared to windows? Try lowering the buffers in VLC.
Old 18-Apr-2017, 09:07   #6
ReichSteadyCrew
post count reset at 9999
ReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond repute
coincidentally, i got the VLC could not read the file (Bad file descriptor) error this weekend when under the following circumstances:

1 - Cut + Paste file from desktop to USB stick
2 - Wanted to check if file was working mid-way through transfer
3 - Double clicked file on desktop which loaded VLC
4 - Transfer completed before VLC loaded up so source file no longer existed
5 - VLC shows "VLC could not read the file (Bad file descriptor)" and locks up

This may be of no use to you whatsoever, but you're no longer alone in seeing that message
Old 18-Apr-2017, 12:37   #7
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Try running VLC as admin. If it works it is probably a folder or file permissions issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 18-Apr-2017, 12:47   #8
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
It's intermittent connection, or slow enough that it's timing out. Try new sockets or her faster home plugs or preferably cable it.

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking