trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Old 06-Oct-2004, 10:22   #1
Sub.Zero
flame fodder
Sub.Zero is on a distinguished road
Help with wireless internet connection

I've set up a pc upstairs in my parents house and they want to get it connected to the internet. They are going to go for 56k dialup rather than broadband as they don't do too much surfing. The problem is that they will either have to put a cable up through the floorboards which means pulling up all the carpets or trailing a bloody long lead from the living room to the upstairs bedroom.

So I was thinking of the possibility of setting up a wireless internet connection. But the problem is I know nothing about wireless connections. Could you give me any advice on the subject, such as what I'd need to set it up and a reasonably priced, secure system? They have got a dektop pc with and Athlon xp 2200+ with 512mb ram and windows 2000 os.
Old 07-Oct-2004, 22:31   #2
Custodian
forum hax
Custodian is on a distinguished road
1 - why bother with 56k when small broadband connections cost the same and work much better? Only reason to use 56k nowadays is if broadband is not available at all.

2 - don't think you can use wireless on 56k without a pc at both ends, as the dial up has to be established by something and I don't think a router/wireless access point will do that (someone tell me if wrong).

Course, broadband + wireless costs a lot more than a 12m telephone extension cable running up the stairs. Is that an option?

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking