trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Sports & Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 25-Aug-2005, 08:46   #1
Bugstomper
my post count gets me dates
Bugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond repute
4th Ashes Test

Having missed the last two tests because i was getting married and then on honeymoon, i'll also now miss most of the 4th as we're moving house, typical!

But, i'll start a thread anyway

1-1 and all to play for, who'd have thought it after the first test? England finally have some backbone against the aussies, having played so well that they've even forced the aussies into a knee-jerk selection change.

So, a debut for shaun tait, 50-50 chance this one, it could prove to be the decisive difference between the sides as the England batsman yet again give a new bowler a dream debut (why do we always do this?) and he gets 5 for very little, or it could backfire completely and leave the australian attack very depleted when they could have had kasper who would have at least offered some control.

As for the England side, hoggard and giles both need to start performing with the ball and for giles with the bat too. The pundits say swing should be in effect at TB so hoggard will do well, but imo when it swings too much hoggard actually becomes less effective, losing all control and swinging it too far, not forcing the batsmen to play and effectively giving them wide balls to cut to the boundary. what he really needs is just a little bit of movement in the air so his accuracy comes into play, but this also makes mcgrath deadly...

I think it will come down to the toss unless someone pulls out a match changing performance, the two sides are pretty evenly matched, we could just as easily lose the next two matchs as win them there is so little between the teams.

If i were the england players i'd just be saying to relax and play for fun, everyone said it would be 5-0 and innings victories to australia, we've competed and beaten them, if it wasn't for the rain at OT it would be 2-1 to us, so we've achieved our original plan, be competitive, even if we lose the next two we've achieved moved on and got a step closer to regaining the ashes.
Send a message via MSN to Bugstomper
Old 25-Aug-2005, 10:08   #2
Bugstomper
Bugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond reputeBugstomper has a reputation beyond repute
Mcgrath out, doesn't say who's in to replace him but i'm assuming it will be kasper... interesting to see the aussies being the ones with all the problems for once, considering our last couple of ashes series with all the injuries and external player problems we had.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 10:19   #3
CryBaby
spam isn't just for eating
CryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah its Kasper in to replace him. We won the toss and chose to bat too!

I'm hoping these are good omens. Need to bat through the day and the weather to put the Aussies on the back foot early here. They just dont have that aura of unshakable confidence anymore and without McGrath to hold the leash England have a fantastic opportunity to post a score and push the panic buttons.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 10:30   #4
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Yeh, but I think the bowlers were disappointed not to be able to get one of the two tailenders out.

Australia are still the favourites by a margin, as apparently, if the series ends up 2-2, they keep the ashes. We need to win this one and not lose the next. Or the other way round of course, but that will be even more pressure!

Come on lads!
Old 25-Aug-2005, 10:33   #5
CryBaby
CryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Indeed the current holders retain the ashes in the event of a tie. And to be fair they only had 4 overs bowling at tailenders which wasn't very long at all. Warne and Ponting broke our hearts that day. Peters missed run out killed us off in truth. He had ages to hit the stumps.

Still, onward. The mere fact we are contemplating winning the series is a MASSIVE achievement for the boys. Win lose or draw the Aussies will go home knowing they are on borrowed time. Fletcher and Vaughan deserve medals for that.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 10:38   #6
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Apparently, on wednesday next week (in Headingley), Vaughn's XI are playing Yorkshire XI in a 20-20 - so that's basically the england team then. Should be pretty ace. I'm getting my ticket now.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 11:17   #7
Bugstomper
that game is dodgy as fuck though, the counties have been denied access to the england players for their C&G semi-finals because of this test match, and yet vaughan is allowed those very same players just days before the oval test... double standards? I know it's only 20-20 and a benefit match, but it's the principle of it and i can understand the counties being pissed off about it.

Anyhoo, back to the match, doing well so far, couple of good balls and streaky shots but some good shots too.

Tait on now, inswinging full pitch ball, strauss did well to keep it out, couple of wide ones too though, could go either way.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 11:32   #8
Dingle
Dangle, Dongle.
Dingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond repute
looking pretty decent so far, nothing too troubling and absolutely sack all in the pitch, thank god he won the toss.

The one thing that does annoy me with these tests tho is..

'Whats up?'

'Nothing'

'Stop fidgeting'

'I'm not'

'YOU ARE'

'Shhhhh'

When piles flare up.... Germaloids etc.
 dinglor 
Old 25-Aug-2005, 11:54   #9
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
The adverts shouldn't bother you, as you *should* have the sound down and TMS from radio 4 on. Far superior commentary.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 11:55   #10
Dingle
Dangle, Dongle.
Dingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond repute
ooo no, I like Boycotts borderline racism
 dinglor 
Old 25-Aug-2005, 11:58   #11
Blood God
Destroyer of economies
Blood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond repute
I'm stuck at work... cricinfo text commentary is all i get :/
 BlitherJet 
Old 25-Aug-2005, 12:10   #12
cuthbert
if thread.newpost then postreply();
cuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud of
strauss gone, rightly so unfortunately
Old 25-Aug-2005, 12:10   #13
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Ooh Strauss desperately unlucky there, not that he wasn't out, just the manner of it hitting his boot rather than the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 25-Aug-2005, 12:23   #14
cuthbert
if thread.newpost then postreply();
cuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud ofcuthbert has much to be proud of
ha, that just made me laugh, think he's out but he's not
Old 25-Aug-2005, 12:37   #15
CryBaby
Well this amazing series continues at 100mph! Run rate of 4.78 defies belief really. Nerves? Pah!

129-1 at lunch is a fantastic start despite Strauss' odd wicket. Really need 450 on this pitch though, and it was a huge toss to win with very few teams winning batting last.

Gotta love a "wicket" off a no ball. Lets hope Tresco makes a big ton like Vaughan did
Old 25-Aug-2005, 12:44   #16
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
What on earth is with the no-balls this morning? 18 so far and quickly on the rise.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 12:44   #17
Blood God
Destroyer of economies
Blood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond repute
I aint complaining... keeps the run counter ticking in the right direction
 BlitherJet 
Old 25-Aug-2005, 12:58   #18
Blood God
Destroyer of economies
god. so bored at work. and noone else seems to be up for going to the pub nearby to watch for an hour while on lunch (from 1:10 conveniently...)
 BlitherJet 
Old 25-Aug-2005, 13:01   #19
Bugstomper
brilliant performance from england so far, really impressed with the way they've taken the attack to australia this series. Unlucky for strauss, especially as for the first time in the series he's looked back in form (except for the second half of his century obviously), just goes to show the old saying about form and class.

The no balls for oz, very surprised, they started so well but then just went awol, the pitch is dead though so we really need to put on a good score here as oz will do the same.

Considering the real chance of losing a day or more to the rain over the weekend i'm wondering if it would actually be better to keep going hell for leather and be all out for 450 than stick in and be 500-6 tomorrow lunch time?

Still, two quick wickets (vaughan is approaching his "woah, i'm on 20 so i'll slog at something pointless and look like a dick who's wasting his talent" score) and oz are back into it. We definately need to score at least 450 on a wicket like this, ideally 550+
Old 25-Aug-2005, 13:22   #20
Blood God
Destroyer of economies
hmm, rain eh...
 BlitherJet 
Old 25-Aug-2005, 13:35   #21
Bugstomper
balls, it was meant to be fine for today and tomorrow, the rain was for the weekend

well, assuming neither side has some kind of catastrophic collapse this has to end in a draw as they'll lose most of sat and sun according to the weather forecast, today fri and monday were meant to be the clear days.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 13:49   #22
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
really? the weather report I've just read in the indescribablyboring says showers for today, friday and saturday dry, with a some showers on sunday and monday... proves they know dick all about the weather.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 13:52   #23
Bugstomper

who knows then, i guess everyone gives different forecasts, it was pissing it down here 20mins ago but now it's really sunny and humid outside (southampton), but the weather is heading west.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 14:18   #24
jimbobaggies
BOING BOING!
jimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond repute
play was due to resume @ 14:10... I'm at work so can't confirm
Old 25-Aug-2005, 14:19   #25
Bugstomper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugstomper
vaughan is approaching his "woah, i'm on 20 so i'll slog at something pointless and look like a dick who's wasting his talent" score
/whistles

second ball after the return and he drives at a wide one for no reason, lucky to not be out.. why doesn't tresco go and smack him round the head, knock some sense in him!
Old 25-Aug-2005, 14:35   #26
Blood God
Destroyer of economies
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobaggies
play was due to resume @ 14:10... I'm at work so can't confirm
good job i didn't bother with the pub today then - as i'd have had to be leaving then....

plus according to my cricinfo scoreboard rain is still stopping play.
 BlitherJet 
Old 25-Aug-2005, 14:45   #27
CryBaby
Yeah they came out and had about 15 minutes of uneventful cricket then went back in.

How English would it be to have the weather prevent a series win lol....
Old 25-Aug-2005, 15:33   #28
[n00b].eesh.
pfft
[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute
Bloody rain.
Send a message via MSN to [n00b].eesh.
Old 25-Aug-2005, 16:09   #29
Blood God
Destroyer of economies
aha, play appears to have restarted....

and trescothic has got himself out
 BlitherJet 
Old 25-Aug-2005, 16:15   #30
[n00b].eesh.
pfft
[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute[n00b].eesh. has a reputation beyond repute
it should have kept on raining!
Send a message via MSN to [n00b].eesh.
Closed Thread

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Sports & Outdoor Activities