trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs

Old 21-Jul-2017, 10:43   #13201
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by leady View Post
yeah its amazing that with the amount of dosh thrown at it since year dot and in no way completely stifled the UK web market

The bbc needs to be sent to the glue factory

Also the diversity issue at the top in the bbc is shocking - it needs far more right wingers
Don't you get bored of just spamming baseless drivel for everyone to immediately pick to pieces? If you want the licence fee abolished for a given reason, it's a great discussion to have if you have a position beyond a headline. I doubt you do.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 10:45   #13202
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, and if you want several thousand examples of a pile money not achieving a successful, scaling digital platform on it's own then I'm sure people can oblige. Google+ anyone? Maybe a quick chat on MySpace? How about a nice bit of Yahoo.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 10:48   #13203
leady
click here to reset post count
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
I do it purely to get your content free, petty personal attacks Nersh
Old 21-Jul-2017, 10:51   #13204
Inertiaman
The best way to not have people think your positions are idiocy is to not have idiotic positions. brb going to put a call into Murdoch to commiserate him on the poor performance of his digital services. then I've got BT's CEO coming over for a tub of ice cream and a good cry after that.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 11:08   #13205
leady
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
Well the fact the bbc news site throttled the online content industry in the UK for years is hardy just my position. Iplayer generated a defacto UK only internet TV standard that stood until the rise of tablets and apps. Finally their decisions such as moving to Salford have huge effects on the overall industry in terms of pull on other companies. So yes there are lot of good arguments to its demise to counter "well I like the Blue Planet and Doctor Who"

Yes its pretty difficult to run out of operating cash if you just get a big wodge year in year out, which you can project out for years and has a minimal tie in anything measureable.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 11:13   #13206
Inertiaman
Hmm can't seem to raise Rupert on the phone. I'll try his ICQ. Hope he's paid his subscription via Billpoint.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 11:14   #13207
Inertiaman
Blue planet is pretty good but I'll defer to the 13 million British that watched a single episode of Strictly.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 11:20   #13208
leady
I'm 100% sure that Strictly survives the bbc, the average Attenborough stuff probably not unless National Geographic picks it up
Old 21-Jul-2017, 11:39   #13209
leady
On topic this is both hilarious and amazingly wrong all in one package

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40679075
Old 21-Jul-2017, 11:49   #13210
Inertiaman
Quote:
I'm 100% sure that Strictly survives the bbc, the average Attenborough stuff probably not unless National Geographic picks it up
As they correctly demonstrated with Bake Off, they'd be quite right not to end up in a bidding war with the private sector on our dime.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 12:17   #13211
leady
The interesting question is whether it exists at all without the 2 decades of the ballroom dancing show (which I think was still a "strictly") that had a niche audience on the bbc. I imagine not, but never mind

the bbc does most of the stuff it does well or very well, but whether its needed or cost justified? In my view its not now. Its last real niche is its radio stations, but even there its hard to work out whether they are filling a gap or making it close to impossible for commercial options to provide say radio 4 like content.

I will admit to culture shock when I look at the bbc website abroad and see it covered in adverts though.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 12:22   #13212
Inertiaman
That's a fking big niche dude.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 12:33   #13213
leady
But was come dancing, which I expect was the seed? Viewing figures for that seem lost to time...

Christ it also finished in 1997 - another "damn I'm old" moment...
Old 21-Jul-2017, 12:53   #13214
BFH
Fixer of dead hard drives
BFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly-back-jack View Post
BBC days are over, they need to get with the fucking times and compete/advertise like everyone else
moment that happens the tv license should go out the window
Old 21-Jul-2017, 12:56   #13215
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Well duh
Old 21-Jul-2017, 13:39   #13216
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Well internet streamed TV is apparent a big thing and the BBC already have the infrastructure for it with iPlayer so why not offer BBC live + iPlayer as a subscription service world wide. That'd probably fix the funding issues instantly (and some).
Old 21-Jul-2017, 13:51   #13217
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
CaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond repute
The TV license is worth every single penny, if only as a giant fuck you to Rupert Murdoch. The BBC is his only viable competition, and that's why all his papers are constantly banging on about the TV tax.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 14:04   #13218
Beef~
res ipsa loquitur
Beef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGrin View Post
Well internet streamed TV is apparent a big thing and the BBC already have the infrastructure for it with iPlayer so why not offer BBC live + iPlayer as a subscription service world wide. That'd probably fix the funding issues instantly (and some).
It's an interesting idea and BBC Worldwide would have thought about it. Possibly might be difficult due to intellectual property rights? I would assume most licenses of productions commissioned by the BBC are for broadcast in the UK only with the production house keeping the other rights. The BBC would then need to take a punt on whether they think non-UK subscribers would want to pay for it.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 16:43   #13219
Barb
poster of the month
Barb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond repute
By all means keep the licence fee. Just give me the whole back catalogue to stream if I choose. Grandparents, parents & my generation have all paid the licence fee.

If they're not commercial why is the only way to watch old series/programmes still DVD/blu ray, that I have to pay for, again.
 FlatCapnWhippet   JerrytheLintElf 
Old 21-Jul-2017, 17:29   #13220
Inertiaman
That's as much a technical matter as a licencing one. On the licencing front they may not have permission from the owners. On a technical front increasing the content volume by what would be a stupifying amount would require colossal resources and cost. I wouldn't want to foot it just so someone could watch the sort of stuff freeview shows all day anyway.
Old 21-Jul-2017, 22:34   #13221
Hamspoons
I love lamp
Hamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly-back-jack View Post
well they went downhill for me sharply with twisted face Kaunsbergg, hardly paying for impartiality are we.
Quote:
Also the diversity issue at the top in the bbc is shocking - it needs far more right wingers
If it's too right wing for left wing and too left wing for right wing, then that's a pretty good indication that's it doing a decent job at hovering around the middle.

Quote:
Yes its pretty difficult to run out of operating cash if you just get a big wodge year in year out, which you can project out for years and has a minimal tie in anything measureable.
And thank fuck for that.
Old 24-Jul-2017, 12:06   #13222
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
I look forward to the new Conservative leader, 'None of the above'.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thet...on-second.html
Old 02-Aug-2017, 09:13   #13223
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
This is like something off The Day Today.
Old 03-Aug-2017, 20:05   #13224
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
CaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond repute
Remember that bloke who stopped the spread of that NHS ransomware attack? Turns out he's been nicked for helping to create and spread the Kronos banking Trojan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40820837
Old 04-Aug-2017, 21:37   #13225
Dingle
Dangle, Dongle.
Dingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond reputeDingle has a reputation beyond repute
https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...oadlytwitterus

Bet the dog was gutted.
 dinglor 
Old 22-Aug-2017, 21:24   #13226
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
https://www.apnews.com/229c0285b8964ae2808e0fd5efff3468
Quote:
German police say they have seized thousands of tablets of the party drug ecstasy in the shape of Donald Trump’s head, a haul with an estimated street value of 39,000 euros
Yes, they're orange as well.
Old 22-Aug-2017, 22:19   #13227
Inertiaman
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41019013

This is the sort of authoritarianism I can get behind. Off with his head.
Old 23-Aug-2017, 15:24   #13228
Inertiaman
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-41012135

Old 24-Aug-2017, 00:06   #13229
Hot Soup
Tournaments Won: 1
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
Brilliant!

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Hot Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2017, 16:06   #13230
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
A Redditor Archived Nearly 2 Million Gigabytes of Porn to Test Amazon’s ‘Unlimited’ Cloud Storage

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-cloud-storage

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs

Tags
amusing, amusing innit, devs cheats, evil sarecock, homer likes bieber, news, phk has no tanks, wenger out!