trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Old 16-Apr-2008, 18:11   #1
Intron
off topic
Intron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond repute
Virgin media Connection dies in games

Help

Finally have a fixed abode now so its time to get back into online gaming.
I have a 20meg connection from Virgin Media.

I took this test that others have done on trickeery. It rates my conection as what looks like pretty good.
Downloading files, web browsing, e-mailing and torrents.
They all work fine... I left it pinging for over an hours it never dropped one.

The only problem is when i start playing online games TF2 i join a server and after about 30 seconds getitng into the game to about 7 minuets the connection is perfect then all of a sudden it dies. The time it takes varies but on average its 5 minuets before my perfect connection dies.

The connection laggs like hell i drop from the game i took a trip down to the router in the basement and the modem and it appears when this lag starts the modem drops connection i loose the WAN ip on the router. The router is perfect nothing happens to it. It appears that only the virgin media black modem drops the connection.

It only happens when playing games and since virgin tech help for broad band is a premium number i want to avoid calling with stupid problem that others know about here.

Last edited by Intron; 16-Apr-2008 at 18:13.
Send a message via MSN to Intron  IntronDepot   Intron 
Old 16-Apr-2008, 19:44   #2
Pulse
lock my threads
Pulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond repute
Hhhhhhmmmm, my guess is that your signal levels are fluctuating for some reason, although why it would do that only when you play a game I don't know. What about other traffic, large downloads? Check out this link and perhaps take a look at your signal levels, perhaps you'll be able to see if they are hugely off, though I'd expect more loss of service and slower speeds if they were:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...al-levels.html

I think VM are due to scrap the call costs for tech support soon, but I don't know when that comes into effect. If you are newsgroup savvy you could put a request on virginmedia.support.broadband.cable (newserver is text.virginmedia.com), one of the techs can look up your account and area to see if there are any issues.
Old 16-Apr-2008, 19:50   #3
Intron
off topic
Intron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond repute
thats awesome they only just upped this area to 20meg this could be the cause.

Downloads of large files take no time at all i rip through 2 gb's in no time at all with download speeds over 1000K happily.

It totaly confused my self and colleagues that the connection only dies on games.

I will be working looking at the signal levels and see whats up. Strangely some one did mention that it could be voltage issues and noise.

I really appreciate your help

thanks for this.
Old 16-Apr-2008, 20:28   #4
Pulse
lock my threads
Pulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intron
thats awesome they only just upped this area to 20meg this could be the cause.

Downloads of large files take no time at all i rip through 2 gb's in no time at all with download speeds over 1000K happily.

It totaly confused my self and colleagues that the connection only dies on games.

I will be working looking at the signal levels and see whats up. Strangely some one did mention that it could be voltage issues and noise.

I really appreciate your help

thanks for this.
Cool no probs, remember, if it IS their fault and you've completely ruled out your PC and you think you can prove it, the tech lines will refund the charges, I've never had problems getting that done, but I've never really had any really difficult bugs. If I see any more news on the newsgroups about when exactly the call charges get scrapped I'll post here.
Old 16-Apr-2008, 21:28   #5
wooly-back-jack
Tactical Hider
wooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond repute
happens everytime they 'upgrade' just have to bear with it and wait for them to upgrade the lines to cope with traffic.
Ive had this a few times, every time its when they upgrade. I couldnt play BF2 for a couple of months when they upgraded me. kept getting kicked by punkbuster for high ping
Send a message via MSN to wooly-back-jack
Old 17-Apr-2008, 00:57   #6
mef
fancypants
mef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond repute
are you connecting wirelessly by any chance?
Old 17-Apr-2008, 11:39   #7
wooly-back-jack
Tactical Hider
wooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond repute
Im not no.

honestly, its the upgrade thing...always is. you will find that you can play games 'off-peak' fine, soon as people get home from work/school you are fucked again.
Old 17-Apr-2008, 12:08   #8
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I've just tested my BT corporate connection.

Check it out!

As an aside, I was reading a tech article about someone raging about Virgin media - and he has noticed that if you are running a router off the end of the virgin media connection to your house, Virgin media is probing your connection to check for the prescence of routers, when it finds one it drops packets. If you remove the router from the connection and use a PC with ICS, then the problems go away.
Old 17-Apr-2008, 12:25   #9
mef
fancypants
mef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond reputemef has a reputation beyond repute
i'm using virgin media with a router shared to 2 360s and 2 pcs, never have any of the problems that you're describing?
Old 17-Apr-2008, 12:27   #10
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I'd have to locate the article again to see if I've described it correctly.
Old 17-Apr-2008, 12:54   #11
MaNiC^
off topic
Tournaments Won: 5
MaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond repute
Same as mef, had a seup with 3 PCs + Laptop for a couple of years without to much hassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey
We had a fight and Kirk won. He beat me to a pulp and I cried... I cried like a little bitch because I'm so gay.
Quote:
You call that breaking my spine?! You red team ladies wouldn't know how to break a spi *snap* *crash* ARGH MY SPINE!!!
Send a message via MSN to MaNiC^  Insomnikal 
Old 17-Apr-2008, 13:10   #12
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Ok, I've located it, and taking it as gospel was perhaps my first mistake. Here's the requisite extract:
Quote:
It appears highly likely that Virgin are probing the equipment you attach to your cable modem and dropping packets destined for broadband routers. I noticed this when my otherwise-reliable Apple Airport Extreme began falling off the net with increasing frequency; I replaced it. Imagine my surprise when the replacement unit began exhibiting identical symptoms? Some annoying (and expensive) support calls later, I plugged the iMac on my desk straight into the CM, and waited ... and the connection proved solid. So I switched on internet sharing and fed the connection through to the rest of the household and ... the connection remained solid. I've now compared notes with several other owners of broadband routers and they all confirmed the same phenomenon: plug a router into a Virgin cable modem and it exhibits signs of instability, but switch to a PC or Mac or Linux box (running NAT, so it's doing the job of a router) and the cable connection stabilized.
So saying it 'definately' breaks your virgin media connection was perhaps a little over zealous Sorry.
Old 17-Apr-2008, 13:23   #13
Pulse
lock my threads
So this mac user seems to believe that his airport is not the cause of the problems, and that it couldn't *possibly* be an airport problem (such as bad firmware in all models), because the NAT in his mac is so much different from the NAT (although granted certainly some NATs operate in different manners from other NATs) in his airport.

It really sounds laughable. Not ONLY that, but a few consumer routers such as the older Linksys54G/S and now the GL's are all based on a linux kernel, the NAT inside those are the same as the NAT inside a "Linux box (running NAT, so it's doing the job of a router)". Wonder if he bothered to check for users of those routers in his sample.

P.S I'm certainly not bashing you here Norfolk, just the article, the guy's conclusions just seem a bit quick, it's like he has basically gone round users, and if they have stability problems AND a router, he's just blamed it on the router.
Old 17-Apr-2008, 13:42   #14
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
That's ok, I think my enthusiam was a product of my environment i.e. I'd just been reading loads of stuff about ISP's and the last few articles had been about virgin, botht eh CEO's comments and the PR dept. scrambling to rescind his views, plus loads of reviews from users. I'll consider myself chastened - even though you didn't mean to
Old 17-Apr-2008, 15:45   #15
wooly-back-jack
Tactical Hider
got 2 pc's a wii and a psp using my connection through router with no probs!
Old 17-Apr-2008, 15:59   #16
Pulse
lock my threads
My face will be so red when the OPs issue turns out to be his router! ;P
Old 19-Apr-2008, 19:47   #17
Intron
off topic
had a rep out and the tech support guys kept saying it was our network setup rather than the line.

We already tested it was not the setup and changed the router and all the rest.

Going to have to take a laptop into the basement tonight and try and play some cs to make it drop the connection while i have tech support on the phone just to prove its not the router.
We changed the router several times and its definately not that pulse but i have not tried the idea of useing a PC as a NAT thats not a bad idea... Only problem is the cabinet in the basement doesnt really have space for a PC unless i get a rackmountable one i do have a HP proline kicking about but thats overkill for use as a NAT.

definatelty some more things to try.
Appreciate the input guys its most helpfull sorry i not responded back on this just been busy with crappy work.
Old 19-Apr-2008, 19:49   #18
mAF
you have marked user as read
mAF has a reputation beyond reputemAF has a reputation beyond reputemAF has a reputation beyond reputemAF has a reputation beyond reputemAF has a reputation beyond reputemAF has a reputation beyond reputemAF has a reputation beyond reputemAF has a reputation beyond reputemAF has a reputation beyond reputemAF has a reputation beyond reputemAF has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have one of the old Surf board modems ?
Send a message via MSN to mAF  ukmattyd   DADDYDAVIES XD 
Old 19-Apr-2008, 20:40   #19
Intron
off topic
nah its a black box virting modem and it doesnt die when we plug just a lap top into it... its the damn router i think your right about the NAT and i think we are going to have to try that
Old 19-Apr-2008, 22:02   #20
Pulse
lock my threads
What router is it?
Old 21-Apr-2008, 20:44   #21
Intron
off topic
it was a shitty belkin.. dont ask i have no idea why a belkin was used. Swapped it out for a Netgear Pro blue metal thingy and we are win all round!

Thanks guys for all your assitance I am back!!!! time to GAME!!.

+ rep for all!!!
Old 21-Apr-2008, 21:24   #22
MaNiC^
off topic
Tournaments Won: 5
MaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond repute
Belkin? did the trickery radio not teach you anything!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey
We had a fight and Kirk won. He beat me to a pulp and I cried... I cried like a little bitch because I'm so gay.
Quote:
You call that breaking my spine?! You red team ladies wouldn't know how to break a spi *snap* *crash* ARGH MY SPINE!!!
Send a message via MSN to MaNiC^  Insomnikal 
Old 21-Apr-2008, 21:45   #23
Intron
off topic
yes i am indeed ashamed of this. i clearly havent learned but it was not my fault it was who ever the gimp was that wired up the house and installed the system. thankfully its now resolved just had my first 2 hours of TF2... god i suck now more so than before

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking