trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Graphics Cards

Old 28-Jan-2004, 14:23   #1
BullDog
spam tbh
BullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to behold
the 'stop hi-jacking Oxy's thread' thread :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA
BullDog if you have had 3 go wrong there's a better than even chance it's a problem somewhere else in your PC (Power Supply? a particularly shit one might cause it, overheating, faulty AGP slot) which is causing these cards to go tits up.

edit ah theres documented occurences of this? It suprises me that the quality control checks didnt pick it up.
I am leaning more and more to the fact that overheating is the cause of the problems - either that or Nforce2.
To expand:

I got my first 9700pro September 2002 and it played fine for quite a long time.
In early 2003 I did notice the odd graphical problem on UT. At that time I was running in a normal midi case on a Asus A7N8X deluxe mobo. The error went away so I though all was ok and ust have been a momentary lapse.
I had a 350w psu with twin fans.

In May of 03 I moved into a Shuttle - SN45G - was a little apprehensive about the PSU being 200w but assured that the quality of the psu would be fine for th 9700pro.
The little monster worked fine throughout the summer of 03 and into autumn.
Then in Nov I started to get really bad errors - whole vertical columns and very bad corruption.
The bast held out lonf enough for the 1 year guarantee to pass.

So I went for a 2nd hand Hercules 9800pro thinking that with all the extra heatsicks it would be ok.
This lasted about a month and went the same way as the 97pro and I mean nearly identical except it went much faster.
I tried every ati driver I could but to no avail.
The 98pro has gone to such an amount now that putting it in any comp will not make it POST.

In January 2003 my cousin wanted a good grafix card so I ordered a 97pro like mine.
His has just gone too - exactly the same vertical blocks right from startup. Lucky for him it's within a year and I amn in the process of rma.
His is an Asus A7N8X non-deluxe.

Reading a good thread on the Sapphire webby forum it would seem like there have been quite a few of these problems and the general consensus is that the GPU has been cooking due to either dodgy fans or bad thermal glue.

Now an odd thing: my girlfriends comp is also a Shuttle - SN41G2 and I have had a 9500non-pro in there for some time.
The 9500 is now in my machine whilst I await the 9600xt.
The 9500 works very well and has never exhibited any signs of grafical errors.
Comparing the 97 and 95 side by side the heatsink and fan are identical which might mean that the cooling provided is ample for the 95 but not enough for the 97.

I'll be the first to admit that running a Shuttle means that the temperature is always going to be higher than an average midi tower but is it too much for an average ati 97 or 98?
I think so now - so am going for the lower clocked 96.

As a precaution I have set AGP x8 and fast writes off in bios and smartgart.

The changed the Shuttles psu to the new 250w supply - but it didn't stop my Hercules from dying.

it's a shame that grafix cards don't have a thermal sensor onboard.

bd
Old 28-Jan-2004, 14:56   #2
F|E|S|T
my other post is a smiley
Location: Zummerzet, where thee ziders green & the grass is yellow :/ ??
F|E|S|T is on a distinguished road
Yes it seems that the temp has played a role in borking your cards, annoying as they don't come cheap. But in that case why not just stick with a normal sized case for home with ample of cooling. I understand the use of shuttles for lans but not when its stuck on a desk at home? Enlighten me...

Its mad the amount of hot air that gets kicked out of the back of mine, and thats a tower dread to think how a shuttle would cope under that heat.

Hope u get more luck this time bulldog
Send a message via MSN to F|E|S|T  festaaa 
Old 28-Jan-2004, 15:10   #3
BullDog
spam tbh
BullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to beholdBullDog is a splendid one to behold
it's just the lovely compact size which attracts me.
with the nforce 2 mobos I don't see the need for 5 pci slots which just sit empty.
the asus deluxe I had was superb - no need for pci card at all - the sound and lan abilities of that mobo is every bit as good as I wanted.

I dunno - perhaps I should go back to a midi case and keep my girlees Shuttle for lans...it's just that all my files would need to be duplicated on her hd.

think I'll see how this 96xt card runs befre making a decision.

so thanks for the ood fer thought matey

ps
one thing I will do once the 1 year is over on the Shuttle guarantee is a bit of case modding.
Old 28-Jan-2004, 15:21   #4
F|E|S|T
my other post is a smiley
Location: Zummerzet, where thee ziders green & the grass is yellow :/ ??
F|E|S|T is on a distinguished road
LoL, yeah few strobe lights and its just the right size for a smoke machine, you could have your own mobile disco. That would get them lans going
Send a message via MSN to F|E|S|T  festaaa 
Old 28-Jan-2004, 15:50   #5
Morba
topic of the pops
Morba has a reputation beyond reputeMorba has a reputation beyond reputeMorba has a reputation beyond reputeMorba has a reputation beyond reputeMorba has a reputation beyond reputeMorba has a reputation beyond reputeMorba has a reputation beyond reputeMorba has a reputation beyond reputeMorba has a reputation beyond reputeMorba has a reputation beyond reputeMorba has a reputation beyond repute
yer i got a r9700pro in my sn41g2 and dont get any probs unless i o/c the gpu :<

however my 2 hdd's are cooking themselves!
Old 28-Jan-2004, 16:31   #6
BullDog
spam tbh
what make of pro issit morby?
and do you have the Shuttle ICE cooling on full blast?
any other cooling in there sir??
Old 28-Jan-2004, 20:28   #7
Flossie
topicophiliac
Flossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to behold
my 9800XT is the first gfx card from ATI (afaik) that has thermal monitoring (possibly also the 9600XT?). Although I have a Aerogate II so can monitor it externally anyway...

traditional ATI gfx card fans are attrocious - poor at cooling and terrible for noise - so everyone I know has ripped them off and put Zalman passive systems on instead! (got a drawer full of ATI fans, and they are so toy-like...).
Having said that, they finally got that right on the 9800XT as well, decent cooling and sensible noise level / tone...

I've also only ever used Enermax PSU's (in the past) and Antec top-range ones (nowerdays) - it seems stupid to spend hundreds/thousands on a system only to rely on a PSU that cost a tenner!

I would definatly agree that a Shuttle case is pushing the limits on heat especially with large amounts of stuff inside to reduce the airflow... Shuttles are toys for LAN's or where you have no desk space, not really for Uber rigs...

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Graphics Cards

Users Viewing Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)