trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Sports & Outdoor Activities

Old 01-Jul-2018, 17:15   #3721
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Gutted
Old 01-Jul-2018, 17:24   #3722
cunning-stunt
Falling to bits.
cunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond repute
I know you guys watch tennis a lot more than I do, but I can't see him coming back as anywhere near the player he was?
cunning-stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Jul-2018, 17:43   #3723
Fulmineus
karma killer
Fulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond repute
Traitor

Say NO! to capital t Sponsored by AQA
Old 02-Jul-2018, 08:36   #3724
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
RAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond repute
Shame, I'd hoped he'd at least give it a go if there wasn't any chance of aggravating his hip. Guess he didn't want to risk retiring in the fith/giving a walkover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunning-stunt View Post
I know you guys watch tennis a lot more than I do, but I can't see him coming back as anywhere near the player he was?
I can see him getting back to near where he was, but he was always going to have to adjust his attritional gamestyle as he pushed into his thirties anyway. If you can remember how he played in his first few years on the tour he was a more aggressive player. He transitioned to his current style of play around about 2009 largely to try to better deal with Fedal at slams. Which, ironically, probably actually hurt him against Roger, as his original style of playing brought him a lot more joy in best of three set matches. He enjoyed a fairly healthy head-to-head lead over Federer for a long time. If he can balance his game a little more and shorten the points where he can I still think he'll probably be the third or fourth best player on tour, which is largely where he's always been anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
so some tribesmen can build a silky smooth road through southern america in a land devoid of natural life yet my local council can barely manage a pot-holed to fuck track through the town, cretins

Last edited by RAPTOR192; 02-Jul-2018 at 08:38.
Old 02-Jul-2018, 09:37   #3725
Hot Soup
click here to reset post count
Tournaments Won: 1
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
He just never seemed to stick with the aggressive style, that would be nice to see. I can see him winning again and potentially a slam.

But it's pretty ridiculous with their various ages and issues that's it's still these guys at the top.

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Hot Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Jul-2018, 14:11   #3726
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmineus View Post
Murray's withdrawn.
He can be quiet, and laid back to the point of being comatose, but I wouldn't go that far.

Had a feeling this would happen though. I don't think that he'd be content just to make up the numbers, especially as a previous champion.

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 02-Jul-2018, 14:27   #3727
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
RAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Soup View Post
He just never seemed to stick with the aggressive style, that would be nice to see. I can see him winning again and potentially a slam.

But it's pretty ridiculous with their various ages and issues that's it's still these guys at the top.

It's not a huge suprise. They have been so good for so long that they choked the life out of their peer group and stunted the growth of the generation below them. At this point I would now be very, very surprised if the likes of Nishikori, Raonic and Dimitrov ever win more than a couple of Slams between them, if that. Of the young guns, Kyrgios is still a fruitcake, Thiem can only perform on clay, Zverev hasn't yet acclimatised to best of five set matches and Shapovalov is still a teenager. I think any of those four look the most likely to have sustained success once Federer and co. retire. But until they come of age I think Cillic or maybe Del Potro once again are likely to be the only other names besides the usual getting stamped on major trophies.

Weirdly, I think the abscence of Murray, Djokovic and Wawrinka for large parts of the past year have hurt the chances of someone new making a major breakthrough. If Nadal had had to play Wawrinka over five hours on the Friday, he might not have rolled Thiem over with such ease in the French Open final last month. The same with the Australian Open this year when Edmund and Chung were two of the four semi finalists. Had Edmund somehow got through Nadal and Federer had had to beat peak Djokovic instead of Chung maybe an upset would have been possible in the final given his advancing age. As impressive as his resurgence has been I still feel like JesusFed needs a small asterisk next to his last couple of Australian Open titles, and Rafa the US Open last year for that matter.
Quote:
so some tribesmen can build a silky smooth road through southern america in a land devoid of natural life yet my local council can barely manage a pot-holed to fuck track through the town, cretins
Old 02-Jul-2018, 19:02   #3728
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
Oh, Grigor. Dimitrov clearly reads trickery and helpfully decided to prove my point
Quote:
Old 03-Jul-2018, 18:20   #3729
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
Kyle won. Bit annoyed though. I'd successfully managed to avoid hearing any updates on the score all day and then spent twenty minutes fast forwarding through six hours worth of BBC One and Two's coverage only to discover that his match was played out almost entirely on the red button.
Quote:
Old 03-Jul-2018, 19:15   #3730
Fulmineus
karma killer
Fulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond repute
Why on earth would they do that?

Old 03-Jul-2018, 22:15   #3731
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
From what I could make out in Flash-Vision they finished covering Konta's match on bbc two, showed a bit of his match on beeb one for Forty five minutes before the sweeden vs switzerland match started and then, because he was cruising, bbc two showed young Jay clarke's match after he took gulbis to five sets. Understandable, but annoying.
Quote:
Old 03-Jul-2018, 22:16   #3732
Fulmineus
karma killer
I missed all the tennis today, bloody work.

Old 04-Jul-2018, 20:47   #3733
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
Fuck you, rain!
Quote:
Old 04-Jul-2018, 20:50   #3734
Fulmineus
karma killer
I'd fucking kill for some rain a few miles to the east instead!

Old 05-Jul-2018, 17:51   #3735
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
Konta out. Kyle winning. WTF happened to Cillic? He was cruising last night.
Quote:
Old 05-Jul-2018, 19:02   #3736
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
Konta appears to be not very good.
Old 05-Jul-2018, 19:37   #3737
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
She's just reverted to her natural level, I think. She's powerful, but quite one-dimensional. It shows how much of a mental sport tennis is though. She was alwaya very flakey, but for 18 months she went on a roll and once she'd started she kept on winning. But losing that semi final here last year completely obliterated the mental resilience she'd managed to build up. Now she's as flakey as she ever was again.

A nice easy win for Kyle again today. Djokovic on Saturday, so let us see what time the organisers schedule it for.
Quote:
Old 07-Jul-2018, 07:46   #3738
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
Edmund vs Djokovic scheduled third on Centre Court, so should miss clashing with most of the football.
Quote:
Old 07-Jul-2018, 16:57   #3739
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
Nice of England win just as Edmund and Djokovic walk onto court. It's a sign!
Quote:
Old 07-Jul-2018, 17:01   #3740
Fulmineus
karma killer

Old 07-Jul-2018, 18:00   #3741
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
It's happening!!!1

Novak is such a headcase these days. He was always more than a little needy for love from the crowd, but now he's just fucking nuts with it.
Quote:
Old 07-Jul-2018, 19:52   #3742
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
If Kyle pulls it back and wins this match, that double-bounce point! Ball bounced twice, kyle dropped his racquet, he ran into the net and the shot was out anyway. Tennis needs VAR it seems.
Quote:
Old 07-Jul-2018, 20:07   #3743
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
Oh well, at least Novak didn't do his horrific carebear routine with the crowd after winning. Would have been a bit odd after swearing at them for three hours. Kyle played well for a set and a half, but his forehand let him down badly after that in the big moments.
Quote:
Old 07-Jul-2018, 20:20   #3744
Fulmineus
karma killer
It's still his least favourite surface so I'm not going to slag him too badly.

But he was supposed to win, the dick!

Old 08-Jul-2018, 19:31   #3745
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
Very interesting documentary on BBC Two right now about Roger and Rafa and the 2008 final and their careers leading up to it. I remember Roger being a lot more tempestuous as a teenager, but some of these tantrums are Kyrgios-level.
Quote:

Last edited by RAPTOR192; 08-Jul-2018 at 19:34.
Old 08-Jul-2018, 21:37   #3746
Fulmineus
karma killer
Yeah he was quite the prick. He still is, really, he just hides it more these days

Old 11-Jul-2018, 07:44   #3747
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44785476

I missed him in the studio yesterday, but apparently he was really good. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on today in the commentary booth.
Quote:
Old 11-Jul-2018, 12:05   #3748
Fulmineus
karma killer
I was hoping he'd pop up in the studio/comm box but wasn't sure he'd be up for it.

Old 11-Jul-2018, 12:50   #3749
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
I always thought he'd potentially be a very insightful pundit, but his voice would be too dull for commentary. Someone did make a funny comment about this to me yesterday, when they said, "Why wouldn't he be good at it? He's been giving a running commentary on his own matches for years!"
Quote:
Old 11-Jul-2018, 17:23   #3750
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
Turn on and Anderson is serving for the match!
Quote:

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Sports & Outdoor Activities

Tags
"it will never happen :d", andy loves hibs, come on tim!, fulm wanks over murray, he's british!!!, i love murray!, it has happened :d, murrays gonna let us down, raptor ejaculates, told you! fuckers!