trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs

Old 11-Jun-2004, 13:44   #1
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Amusing News

Too much seriousness makes Matt a dull boy. May I suggest a fark-esque thread of amusing news? Everything welcome - especially dodgy local rags.

I'd like to start with;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06..._mugger_cheap/

Quote:
Muggers refuse to nick crap mobile phone
By Tim Richardson
Published Friday 11th June 2004 09:59 GMT

Muggers in South Africa handed back an Alcatel mobile phone while robbing two terrified women - because they refused to thieve "cheap stuff".

Two men with knives accosted the women while they were out walking in Port Elizabeth. They threatened them with the knives and demanded they hand over their jewellery and mobile phones.

But the women were stunned when the muggers refused to take one of the handsets. Victim Tandeka Mazwane, told the Cape Times: "We were so scared, but even more surprised when they looked at her Alcatel phone and threw it back at her, saying they don't take cheap stuff." ®

Last edited by Inertiaman; 07-Jan-2008 at 19:48.
Old 11-Jun-2004, 13:46   #2
Sonic Samurai
free bandwidth?
Sonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond repute
Mary Poppins stunt lands man in hospital

A man in China ended up in hospital after he tried to use his umbrella as a makeshift parachute.

The man, from Chonqing, western China, is believed to have suffered two broken legs, reports West China City News.

He told police he jumped out of the window because he thought his microwave oven was about to explode.

He had thought that the umbrella would enable him to land safely - like Mary Poppins in the Disney children's film.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_983923.html?menu=
Old 15-Jun-2004, 19:15   #3
D.Celt
Irresistable
D.Celt has a reputation beyond reputeD.Celt has a reputation beyond reputeD.Celt has a reputation beyond reputeD.Celt has a reputation beyond reputeD.Celt has a reputation beyond reputeD.Celt has a reputation beyond reputeD.Celt has a reputation beyond reputeD.Celt has a reputation beyond reputeD.Celt has a reputation beyond reputeD.Celt has a reputation beyond reputeD.Celt has a reputation beyond repute
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3806299.stm
Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:24   #4
Izzanbaad
postaholic
Izzanbaad is a name known to allIzzanbaad is a name known to allIzzanbaad is a name known to allIzzanbaad is a name known to allIzzanbaad is a name known to allIzzanbaad is a name known to all
Quote:
Another issue is accidental calls from mobiles. In 2003, the Met received about 70,000 of those, which all required follow-up from officers to ensure that they were indeed mistakes - calls accidentally dialled from phones in purses or pockets.

Sorry, that is utter fucking bollocks.
About 6 times in the last two months my phone has dialled 999 while it`s been in my pocket and NOT ONCE have i received a call back saying, "Are you hurt or are you sitting on your fucking phone, you tit?"

Anyone actually had a call back asking if they`re genuinely in need of 999?
Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:26   #5
Q-Target
he'll hoof you in the works
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzanbaad
Quote:
Another issue is accidental calls from mobiles. In 2003, the Met received about 70,000 of those, which all required follow-up from officers to ensure that they were indeed mistakes - calls accidentally dialled from phones in purses or pockets.

Sorry, that is utter ****ing bollocks.
About 6 times in the last two months my phone has dialled 999 while it`s been in my pocket and NOT ONCE have i received a call back saying, "Are you hurt or are you sitting on your ****ing phone, you tit?"

I've had calls asking if I want 69...

/coat
Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:26   #6
Nor
post haste
Nor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond repute
We had a fault on our ntl line once and it would dial 112 or something. Apparantly this is something the police respond to. We had police call round 3 times over a couple of days and nearly broke the door down at one point
Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:27   #7
Q-Target
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
112 is the international emergency number which will work on mobiles abroad too. It patches into the local emergency services.
Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:32   #8
Izzanbaad
postaholic
Izzanbaad is a name known to allIzzanbaad is a name known to allIzzanbaad is a name known to allIzzanbaad is a name known to allIzzanbaad is a name known to allIzzanbaad is a name known to all
I regularly had to call 121 on my pre- T-Mobile phone.

/coat?
Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:36   #9
Flossie
topicophiliac
Flossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzanbaad
No, because I've never managed to do that with my phones. Maybe I don't sit on them. (I have called the first entry in the phone book by accident a few times though...which is why I now have a blank entry for AAAA...)

But a collegue at work a few days ago mentioned it had happend to him (the call back from the police).
Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:37   #10
Fulmineus
karma killer
Fulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond repute
My phone has this revolutionary new device. It's called "lock keypad." What it is, right, is where you lock it, right, and then, if the buttons are pressed, they dont dial a number. Amazing!

Say NO! to capital t Sponsored by AQA
Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:38   #11
Flossie
topicophiliac
Flossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to beholdFlossie is a splendid one to behold
pitty you can still dial 999 with the keypad locked on some phones though...!
Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:39   #12
Fulmineus
karma killer
Fulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond repute
Mine's revolutionary though, it lets you die!

Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:40   #13
Q-Target
Try 112
Old 16-Jun-2004, 13:41   #14
Fulmineus
karma killer
OK that one works

Old 16-Jun-2004, 22:13   #15
Martigan
topicophiliac
Martigan is a splendid one to beholdMartigan is a splendid one to beholdMartigan is a splendid one to beholdMartigan is a splendid one to beholdMartigan is a splendid one to beholdMartigan is a splendid one to behold
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...=news.quirkies
Old 16-Jun-2004, 22:14   #16
Nor
post haste
Nor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond reputeNor has a reputation beyond repute
Does 112 get through to your local police station then ?
Old 16-Jun-2004, 22:15   #17
Martigan
topicophiliac
Martigan is a splendid one to beholdMartigan is a splendid one to beholdMartigan is a splendid one to beholdMartigan is a splendid one to beholdMartigan is a splendid one to beholdMartigan is a splendid one to behold
OK so which one of you is he?

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...=news.quirkies

I suspect Maj' after seeing his "voyuer" thread.
Old 16-Jun-2004, 22:40   #18
tinx
if thread.newpost then postreply();
tinx has a brilliant futuretinx has a brilliant futuretinx has a brilliant futuretinx has a brilliant futuretinx has a brilliant futuretinx has a brilliant futuretinx has a brilliant futuretinx has a brilliant futuretinx has a brilliant futuretinx has a brilliant futuretinx has a brilliant future
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/0....ap/index.html

This is hilaaarious!!
Old 16-Jun-2004, 22:45   #19
Q-Target
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor
Does 112 get through to your local police station then ?
I think it links to the nearest control centre
Old 18-Jun-2004, 10:24   #20
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk...entPK=10330216
Old 18-Jun-2004, 10:38   #21
gimpchimp
posts sponsored by spam
gimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinx
Nine million bees? I'm surprised someone didn't get killed!
Send a message via MSN to gimpchimp  NostrusUK 
Old 18-Jun-2004, 11:52   #22
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Yeh, me too. Me dad was pollarding a tree by a river bank one day, and cut down a wasp's nest. He got stung 55 times down one side, which laid him out for four days. Nasty.
Old 18-Jun-2004, 16:50   #23
Inertiaman
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06..._cctv_cameras/

utter beauty.
Old 18-Jun-2004, 19:28   #24
Harry Palmer
Gun nut
Harry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk'n'Clue
Yeh, me too. Me dad was pollarding a tree by a river bank one day, and cut down a wasp's nest. He got stung 55 times down one side, which laid him out for four days. Nasty.
Heh, I had to look up the word "pollarding"

Reminder: "Do not look into laser with remaining good eye."
 Lupins 
Old 18-Jun-2004, 21:47   #25
Pisgod
spam tbh
Pisgod is a splendid one to beholdPisgod is a splendid one to beholdPisgod is a splendid one to beholdPisgod is a splendid one to beholdPisgod is a splendid one to beholdPisgod is a splendid one to beholdPisgod is a splendid one to beholdPisgod is a splendid one to behold
hitting a tree with Sue Pollard isnt it?
*thwack* 'hi-di-ho' *thwack*
Old 19-Jun-2004, 05:44   #26
[NZ]Rubberducky
triple cracka
[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute[NZ]Rubberducky has a reputation beyond repute
could we hit sue pollard with the tree?
Old 19-Jun-2004, 10:10   #27
Heartwork
Hamish McJewstein
Heartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiaman
http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149235&command=displayC ontent&sourceNode=149218&contentPK=1033021 6
saw that in the Metro the other day. fantastic stuff
Old 21-Jun-2004, 16:37   #28
Inertiaman
"Watch me shag this Traffic cone lads!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3144107.stm#odd
Old 22-Jun-2004, 07:05   #29
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Two particularly fine sentences in that report:

"...with previous convictions that include simulating sex with a training shoe in a public place."

and:

"His lawyer Andy Gilbertson had argued that his act had been like a piece of Edinburgh Fringe street theatre..."

quality.
Old 23-Jun-2004, 15:58   #30
Inertiaman
Some quality letters in el Reg regarding biometric digital rights management. The premise being that you buy itunes or whatever and bind them to your fingerprint. Needless to say it's gone down like a lead balloon.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06...ters_drm_2306/

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs

Tags
amusing, amusing innit, devs cheats, evil sarecock, homer likes bieber, news, phk has no tanks, wenger out!