trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Science Fiction

Old 02-Nov-2015, 19:01   #1
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Star Trek returns to TV

Premiering on CBS All Access in the US;

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/mov...ldly-return-tv

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 02-Nov-2015, 19:11   #2
Ferg
Default Title Here
Ferg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond repute
Best. News. Ever.

Well, after my children and marriage.
Old 02-Nov-2015, 19:29   #3
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Be interesting to see which time period they're kicking off in...

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
Old 11-Feb-2016, 03:08   #4
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Arrow

Showrunner confirmed as Trek veteran Bryan fuller, a man who really loved DS9, which makes him OK in my book. Also the developer of Hannibal, the late TV series...

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/tv-...ies-showrunner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Fuller

Plato
Old 11-Feb-2016, 08:08   #5
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
I like his work but he either doesn't stay in a role long or his shows get cancelled. He's good with quirky characters and situations and story arcs, so could be a good choice, if he can stay in the job long enough.
Old 02-Mar-2016, 02:32   #6
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Holy fack! I didn't see this coming. Nick Meyer, Director of arguably the two best Trek films yet made comes aboard.

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/tv-...ar-trek-series

Plato
Old 02-Mar-2016, 23:29   #7
mr_o
post count reset at 9999
mr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eja Cool8 View Post
Holy fack! I didn't see this coming. Nick Meyer, Director of arguably the two best Trek films yet made comes aboard.

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/tv-...ar-trek-series

Quote:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
2?
 Oddbin 
Old 03-Mar-2016, 02:42   #8
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Yes, those two.

Plato
Old 03-Mar-2016, 10:32   #9
Hot Soup
to be deleted
Tournaments Won: 1
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
yep both films good, also 25 years old and he hasn't done .. much of anything since. Judgement reserved.

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Hot Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Mar-2016, 02:31   #10
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
I think what's happening is that CBS is pulling out as many stops as possible to appeal to the broadest possible audience; fans of classic Trek, and those crazed fiends that prefer the reboot.

Witness the addition of young Mr Roddenberry as another name on the credits;

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/tv-...-a-trevor-roth

It all has to be backed up with actual stories, of course, and, you know, production values and whatnot.

Plato

Last edited by Eja Cool8; 06-Mar-2016 at 02:35.
Old 06-Mar-2016, 13:23   #11
PsYcHoKiLLa
topicophiliac
PsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond repute
Was his son ever actually involved with Star Trek?

Just because your dad is a author/screenwriter doesn't mean you'll automatically be a author/screenwriter too.

Dig the cunt up and shoot him again. Dickheads like him are why I can't buy a glock any more.
Old 06-Mar-2016, 15:49   #12
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoKiLLa View Post
Was his son ever actually involved with Star Trek?

Just because your dad is a author/screenwriter doesn't mean you'll automatically be a author/screenwriter too.
You're missing the point I made. CBS is lathering everything onto this show that it possibly can, it seems. That they will have brilliant people who can put 50 minutes out per week I think you can take as read (whether or not one minute of it is worthwhile viewing, of course, remains to be seen.) It's the perception of the consumer we're talking about here, and, as I say, CBS seems to be trying to promise everything to every category of person who ever liked Star Trek. Ever.

Hence the addition of these names. Personally, I want Rocket Ron back.

Last edited by Eja Cool8; 06-Mar-2016 at 16:08.
Old 06-Mar-2016, 16:54   #13
Spazwankle
I love lamp
Spazwankle has a reputation beyond reputeSpazwankle has a reputation beyond reputeSpazwankle has a reputation beyond reputeSpazwankle has a reputation beyond reputeSpazwankle has a reputation beyond reputeSpazwankle has a reputation beyond reputeSpazwankle has a reputation beyond reputeSpazwankle has a reputation beyond reputeSpazwankle has a reputation beyond reputeSpazwankle has a reputation beyond reputeSpazwankle has a reputation beyond repute
Except put it somewhere people will actually watch it. Exclusive to their own on-demand streaming service seems like the most delusional decision.
Old 06-Mar-2016, 18:58   #14
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazwankle View Post
Except put it somewhere people will actually watch it. Exclusive to their own on-demand streaming service seems like the most delusional decision.
I give you Star Trek: The Original Series, as first broadcast in the late 1960s... Pretty much a failure until it was syndicated and rescheduled

Plato
Old 06-Mar-2016, 19:47   #15
PsYcHoKiLLa
topicophiliac
PsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond repute
I'd rather that Jonathan Frakes (Riker) and Brannon Braga (Writer on TNG and the movies) were involved, for the original movies and TNG they both ended up being the backbone of those.

If either of them (or both) got involved it would have the official seal of approval and quality.

Frakes ended up directing a lot of the episodes and a couple of the later films too.

Dig the cunt up and shoot him again. Dickheads like him are why I can't buy a glock any more.
Old 06-Mar-2016, 23:21   #16
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Mate. Frakes was responsible for the Thunderbirds movie, for which he needs hunting down and beaten about the face and body with a big rubber thing.

If you want to praise a former Trek actor for the quality of their direction, then, personally I'd go for LeVar Burton, I like the way he handles things.

Plato
Old 07-Mar-2016, 09:50   #17
PsYcHoKiLLa
topicophiliac
Yeah but George Lucas produced Howard the Duck...

Old 07-Mar-2016, 13:09   #18
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Quote:
Yeah but George Lucas produced Howard the Duck...

And three highly dubious Star Wars movies, not to mention being responsible for the sack of shite that was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...

Plato
Old 24-Mar-2016, 10:53   #19
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Howard the Duck...

Your point?
Old 18-Jul-2016, 19:24   #20
Hot Soup
to be deleted
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
New series will be shown on Netflix the day after US broadcast.

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 24-Jul-2016, 01:02   #21
Hot Soup
to be deleted

New ship looks like shit.

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 24-Jul-2016, 01:07   #22
Fulmineus
karma killer
Fulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond repute
Well, if that trailer was intended to make me want to watch this new series, it fucking failed spectacularly. Dreadful CGI and a shonky looking ship.

Say NO! to capital t Sponsored by AQA
Old 24-Jul-2016, 01:16   #23
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
The ship looks very klingon in design and the cgi is sub par

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 24-Jul-2016, 01:20   #24
Hot Soup
to be deleted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen View Post
The ship looks very klingon in design and the cgi is sub par
Yep, assuming it's meant to be a hybrid or something and from the numbering pre Enterprise?

But looks very much like a rushed and shat out effort. I know they need to tease things at comic con , but if you can't do something decent...

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 24-Jul-2016, 02:55   #25
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
I've been trying to get this across since the first Abrams Trek movie came out; Paramount CBS doesn't have a fucking clue how to manage one of it's best dollar earners other than generating eye candy to get punters in for a first run at cinemas.

Fair play for their fiscal nous, but no one csres that it's Star Trek anymore, it could be random sci-fantasy no; 4656, .

Sure, many of you take a polar opposite view, but I've liked Star Trek since it was first broadcast back in the day, and the state of it now, in terms of Paramount/CBS content just saddens me. Loads of bombast, nice FX, almost zero thought.

If you like what's on offer, good luck to you, enjoy, but I can't join you on that journey.

Plato
Old 24-Jul-2016, 09:05   #26
Ferg
Default Title Here
Ferg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond repute
I really hope that isn't a reflection of the quality of the TV show.
Old 24-Jul-2016, 14:39   #27
Scorpius
Spilling Campion 2008
Scorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond reputeScorpius has a reputation beyond repute

seems to be based of this McQuarrie sketch for the motion picture Enterprise
Send a message via MSN to Scorpius  g1ausbaltar 
Old 24-Jul-2016, 22:27   #28
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Ahhh, but it goes beyond even that. The McQuarrie work was done for a mid-70s Trek film that never was. Which was then dropped in favour of a TV series called Phase II, itself binned and the material developed into ST: The Motion Picture;

http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/pl...lm-that-wasnt/

Watch the Discovery teaser, note what the dock looks like, built into an asteroid and all, and look at this;

Not art for Discovery, it was painted in the 70s.....

Plato
Old 25-Jul-2016, 08:23   #29
Ferg
Default Title Here
Painted in the 70s, looks better than Discovery in the 2010s.
Old 25-Jul-2016, 20:23   #30
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Something else occurred to me; that dock design's actually been used before, in the Enterprise 2-parter In a Mirror, Darkly.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/I...arkly_(episode)

The Tholian dock where they're holding the USS Defiant;

Now, a Tholian ship;

Surely they're not suggesting a Tholian influence on the USS Discovery? Reverse-engineering the Defiant? Or am I just seeing things that aren't there?

Plato

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Science Fiction

Tags
wenger out!