trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > General > News

Old 24-Aug-2007, 11:50   #1
EvilGrin
attention seeker
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Twenty reasons not to run BioShock under DX10

After learning about a 20 frames-per-second penalty for running DX10 instead of DX9 in BioShock, Joel Durham Jr. over at ExtremeTech thought it would be a good idea to compare the image quality differences of BioShock DX10 vs. DX9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTech
BioShock is turning out to be an engrossing and downright fun shooter. DirectX 10, in the meantime, is turning out to be a non-issue. If you decided to play in DirectX 9 for the sake of performance, you're really not missing much at all.
Old 24-Aug-2007, 12:06   #2
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
There's not a great deal of difference is there?
Old 24-Aug-2007, 12:36   #3
T3CH^
Too old for this shit
T3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond repute
hmm so vista looks YET AGAIN to be less and less essential, and considering the rumoured rethink on ms's online games strategy (which used to be VISTA OR NOTHING), Vista looks to be pretty pointless just now.

R.I.P. CITY OF HEROES

'Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps.........it is time to die'

pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇıʍ ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıop noʎ ǝɹɐ ʎɥʍ
 x_Kryptman_x   T3CHguyver 
Old 24-Aug-2007, 12:56   #4
assassin
kidneythieves fan
assassin has a reputation beyond reputeassassin has a reputation beyond reputeassassin has a reputation beyond reputeassassin has a reputation beyond reputeassassin has a reputation beyond reputeassassin has a reputation beyond reputeassassin has a reputation beyond reputeassassin has a reputation beyond reputeassassin has a reputation beyond reputeassassin has a reputation beyond reputeassassin has a reputation beyond repute
lol DX10 and Vista is getting more of a joke by the day....

Kidney Thieves www.eventhorizon.co.nr www.darksideradio.com Lacuna Coil Collide VaLkyR Forums
Old 24-Aug-2007, 13:57   #5
Rojin
spam tbh
Rojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond repute
...and that's what I'm installing tomorrow, must be mad! (64bit as well!).

Driver still aren't up to scratch in Vista, I do wonder if they ever will be...
Old 24-Aug-2007, 14:12   #6
Onions
it's still christmas
Onions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond repute
FAO the last three posters: Umm.. what has this got to do with Vista? Or DX10? Using DX10 doesn't automagically make your games look amazing. All I see here is a game that could probably have looked better if the devs made more use of the latest technology. That and a few idiots

"As much as onions is a giant ginger bag of mashed twats who doesn't technically constitute one whole human due to his massive lack of self esteem, bad face, and the fact he hails from scotland (the small s is intentional to indicate the insignificance of the place), he does make a valid point!"
Old 24-Aug-2007, 14:34   #7
Rojin
spam tbh
Rojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond repute
DX10 is supposed to also provide a more efficient code path so effects we see in DX9 should be possible in DX10 without impacting on performance as much. As can be seen from the screenshots and drop in actual performance this isn't actually proving to be the case at the moment. GFX drivers do seem to still be in the early stages for Vista, hopefully things will improve...

Last edited by Rojin; 24-Aug-2007 at 14:58.
Send a message via MSN to Rojin
Old 24-Aug-2007, 14:51   #8
Norphy
bandwidth bill in the post
Norphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond repute
It could be argued that the effects that DX10 is capable of producing can't really be conveyed with a static screenshot.

However, not having played or seen a DX10 title yet, that comment could be complete bollocks
Send a message via ICQ to Norphy Send a message via MSN to Norphy
Old 26-Aug-2007, 17:42   #9
Intron
off topic
Intron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond repute
Personally the image quality i find to be better haveing played it ok its not major but it is a differnce.

Currnetly i have yet to see a Dedicated game that was built from the ground up with direct x 10 in mind these are on their way soon but as far as i am aware bioshock was not one of them.

I have found the patches that have come out for games that add direct x 10 features give it that more atmospheric edge like with company of heroes the grass added to it does make it appear better.

But this is all in the eye of the beholder.

Its not a penatly of vista more of the technology being used. Since you have to make a game to meet all situations these days only once when the majority or at least the developers have moved onto this new technology will we start to see its benifits.

This reminds me some what as the fad of dual cores in many cases have dual cores caused the games to run slower with out some tweaking. SO only once the technology is kept in mind and developed to suit it from day one will we truely see benfits.

its still early days
Send a message via MSN to Intron  IntronDepot   Intron 
Old 26-Aug-2007, 17:50   #10
Intron
off topic
Intron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond repute
Damn just noticed in that article they are useing a Radeon 2900 only not even used an 8800 GTX which is more established Dx10 device

I am very tempted to sit down and do my own test but no doubut i am too lazy to do this. But i think they would have been better to choose a more establisted Dx10 card that has longer time to refine the drivers
Send a message via MSN to Intron  IntronDepot   Intron 
Old 07-Sep-2007, 01:03   #11
antarctica
flame fodder
antarctica is on a distinguished road
hmm looks nice and runs fine on my pc, avg false positive notwithstanding..
Old 04-Nov-2007, 15:44   #12
Eja Cool8
Has run out of Lube
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm just amazed that anyone actually thinks that Vista is going to make much difference to anything at this early stage. I'm yet to see anything that makes me want to "upgrade", and the sales figures kind of show that most people feel the same.

MS tried to pimp it hard, the world saw through their shite.

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 04-Nov-2007, 17:40   #13
AlucardXI
I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN!
AlucardXI has a reputation beyond reputeAlucardXI has a reputation beyond reputeAlucardXI has a reputation beyond reputeAlucardXI has a reputation beyond reputeAlucardXI has a reputation beyond reputeAlucardXI has a reputation beyond reputeAlucardXI has a reputation beyond reputeAlucardXI has a reputation beyond reputeAlucardXI has a reputation beyond reputeAlucardXI has a reputation beyond reputeAlucardXI has a reputation beyond repute
heh and my work mate called me a moron for buying a new machine with XP instead of Vista

Warning; Pedobear has been known to engage in questionable behavior in the presence of children.

Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a bus. -- Ricky, age 10
Old 04-Nov-2007, 18:37   #14
Chef_uk
Chef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond repute
A guy in my clan went for vista as soon as it came out and he has had nothing but problems. I think he's finally resigned to the fact he needs to put XP back on.

The thing is XP as far as MS OS's go, is bloody brilliant. ME wasn't really a big OS from them, so coming from 98 up to XP like the majority of people did, meant Vista had to be the dogs bollocks and nothing less if they wanted to get the XP crowd on to Vista.

As long as XP is supported by the game developers then i doubt i will get vista.
Old 05-Nov-2007, 08:40   #15
Evil Pete
troll
Evil Pete has much to be proud ofEvil Pete has much to be proud ofEvil Pete has much to be proud ofEvil Pete has much to be proud ofEvil Pete has much to be proud ofEvil Pete has much to be proud ofEvil Pete has much to be proud ofEvil Pete has much to be proud of
You mean XP is now brilliant, after two service packs and umpteen patches...

Happy Vista user here tbh.
Old 05-Nov-2007, 09:28   #16
BBW
Contains flashing images.
Tournaments Won: 1
BBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond repute
Same here. Wouldn't look at another OD again after the loveliness of Vista.
Old 05-Nov-2007, 11:37   #17
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
2k sp4 is still the best OS MS have ever released.
Old 11-Feb-2008, 13:40   #18
Kippa
forum hax
Kippa has a reputation beyond reputeKippa has a reputation beyond reputeKippa has a reputation beyond reputeKippa has a reputation beyond reputeKippa has a reputation beyond reputeKippa has a reputation beyond reputeKippa has a reputation beyond reputeKippa has a reputation beyond reputeKippa has a reputation beyond reputeKippa has a reputation beyond reputeKippa has a reputation beyond repute
Vista is good. It doesn't make huge changes from XP but so what. It is stable and runs fine. I did have some problems when I first got my new computer with Vista, but that turned out to have nothing to do with Vista, it was a dodgy gfx card. Once I replaced the gfx card Vista ran like a dream, no hitch, no crash, no problems.
Old 11-Feb-2008, 14:31   #19
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
Xp's still supposed to run faster than Vista though isn't ?
Old 11-Feb-2008, 14:40   #20
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungboy
2k sp4 is still the best OS MS have ever released.
Yes assuming that comment fell through a time rift from 2002.
Old 11-Feb-2008, 19:41   #21
wooly-back-jack
Tactical Hider
wooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunteh
Xp's still supposed to run faster than Vista though isn't ?
Crysis sort of proved the DX10 bullshit didnt it, with the unlock DX10 shiney bits under WinXP/DX9 hack
Send a message via MSN to wooly-back-jack
Old 11-Feb-2008, 19:43   #22
wooly-back-jack
Tactical Hider
wooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond repute
its all just money farming, business has to make money, we keep buying, they keep inventing the next poo-nugget to spoonfeed us.
Send a message via MSN to wooly-back-jack
Old 11-Feb-2008, 19:46   #23
Swank
double post spacker
Swank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond repute
we keep buying?

I bloody well don't...

http://www.chickipedia.com/
Send a message via ICQ to Swank Send a message via AIM to Swank
Old 12-Feb-2008, 10:13   #24
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
I bloody well did....

But then again when XP came out everyone was saying "what's the point of upgrading from Win95" as Win95 was so much faster.

Oh well.

Go Back   trickery.net > General > News

Users Viewing Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)