trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 08-Dec-2009, 16:52   #1
bcampbell3
flame fodder
bcampbell3 has much to be proud ofbcampbell3 has much to be proud ofbcampbell3 has much to be proud ofbcampbell3 has much to be proud ofbcampbell3 has much to be proud ofbcampbell3 has much to be proud ofbcampbell3 has much to be proud ofbcampbell3 has much to be proud ofbcampbell3 has much to be proud ofbcampbell3 has much to be proud of
IRRT - Intel Rapid Restore Technology

I've been tracking down a number of slowness issues with our E series laptops. Besides the well-known thermal table issue and a number of other culprits, I've been looking at IRRT mode. As far as I can tell, IRRT only functions if you have several drives to take advantage of specific RAID configurations.

I've tried contacting my Dell reps. They say call Intel. When I called Intel I was sent to their Authorized Distributor page. And what happened next? Yep, I called each of these people and none of them were willing to answer a few technical questions. I suspect that IRRT could be causing more problems than it's worth in Dell E series laptops, especially since they don't have 2 drives in our configuration. I was considering a switch back to AHCI on all our devices (that have IRRT capability.)

I've read around in forums that IRRT has overhead and in certain situations could be causing problems the controller or the drive since a second hard drive is not present in most laptops. Yes, one can be installed via eSata, but that's not supported by our company for various reasons.

What I'm looking for is some shred of technical information about the specifics of IRRT, how it functions and reacts in single-drive scenarios and the benefits/detriments of even using IRRT mode.

Pertinent links...

Intel's lone IRRT document: http://www.intel.com/support/chipset.../CS-026142.htm

Intel's List of Authorized Resellers: http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...eng/227304.htm

Here's a link to the guy's site that exhaustively teched the thermal table issue:
http://imsahp.chambana.net/~randall/dell

I've done some homework on this one, but can't seem to come up with detailed IRRT information. A white paper, technical support documentation, anything at all would be helpful. Thanks!
Send a message via AIM to bcampbell3

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Tags
irrt ahci bios sata dell